God Help Me......hd Gone Awol

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mullet7250, Jan 21, 2008.

1. mullet7250 macrumors newbie

Greetings,

My internal HD on my 17" G4 powerbook is no longer being recognised. When I try to start up, it gets to grey screen and no further. When I boot from tiger disc and go to disk utility, it tries to find HD but fails.

I also have tried to view HD using system profiler ATA and I get the same spinning wheel of death.

Has my HD gone to God?... and would this mean my PB is also dead, or can I replace the HD?

Help me please

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You can replace the hard drive with a 2.5" IDE (Parallel ATA) drive, no real difficulty there - go to www.ifixit.com for installation details.

Whether or not you can get data off the defunct hard drive though is a matter of what's really wrong with it, and how much you are willing to spend to try.

Buy a new hard drive and an external 2.5" case -- Firewire preferable, USB if you are on a budget.

Install the new drive, move the old one to the external case, format and install OSX on the new internal, then attempt data recovery from the old one at your leisure.

(PS.... God doesn't care about the hardware)

3. ggpike macrumors member

Having experienced this with my 17" MBP 3 months after I got it . . . I hate to tell you but it sounds like your HD did indeed walk through the pearly gates. There are a couple things you can do, which I can't remember, that someone on this board will suggest. In my experience though, it sounds pretty terminal. Hope you backed everything up! I lost 3 months worth of design work on mine when my crash happened, so I know it's not fun.

4. mullet7250 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice... I'll not to spend too much on it, i'm looking to perhaps purchase an MBP when new specs come out

Fortunately, I didn't lose too much...

5. indierthanthou macrumors member

I might have to buy that off of you when/if you get the mbp...let me know

6. mullet7250 thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in Australia! Still interested?

7. indierthanthou macrumors member

Um....probably not...shipping and customs crap would be more than the computer...

darn.