God, iPhone I love you, but....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alm99, Jun 22, 2009.

1. alm99 macrumors 6502

I love, LOVE this phone, but AT&T your service stinks. I ported from Verizon Wireless for the iPhone and I am thinking of returning it and leaning towards porting back to VZW with my original phone. I get service at my home, my commute, but not inside work. I spend 9 hours, sometimes more at work each day and without even a signal it kills the iPhone. I don’t think I am willing to spend $100+ a month for service that I cannot even use for 45+ waking hours of the week. It just doesn’t make sense. AT&T why does your network not penetrate through walls better? I hate you for this, you have such a great device, but you suck.

Anyone else faced with this situation?

2. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

*sigh* did this acually need a new thread? At&t isnt bad depending on your area and it all comes down to who got the contract for the 850 mhz frequency in your area. Verizon is good in places and sucks in others, same with AT&T and 99% of cell phone carriers. The only way people will stop complaining is when cell services goes satellite, then you can always get good signal even when your on the chamber, in the basement of your girlfriends parents castle.

3. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

This happens to my wife. She does not have coverage in her job, but outside she does. Sprint, whom we left, had coverage all over her building. Pisses her off.

4. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

This is one of those things you can't blame AT&T completely - it's all about what tower is where.

At work, my iPhone has a full signal, but my (work-provided) VZW phone is useless.

5. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

You pretty much have 2 choices.

Return the iPhone - I got stuck with a crappy provider last year and know it sucks - or keep it and suffer on.

If there's a company other than AT&T that you could use the iPhone with and get decent signal then buy an iPhone through Criagslist, eBay etc, unlock it and use it with that provider.

Such is life.

6. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

I spent the better portion of a year in SE Long beach with NO service from Verizon and all my contacts on ATT... Needless to say I made the switch and have NEVER looked back.

Just a question...have you ever had to deal with VZ customer service? :p

7. alm99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, has not been pleasant it is like pulling teeth to get them to assist. AT&T has been great thus far, but no service at work. As soon as I walk through the door I go from 4 bars with 3G, to "No Service"

8. 2056 macrumors 6502

that happened to me with the 3g. LOVE the phone but the service stinks in my area. i took it back after 3 days.
    i really hope that apple makes an iphone for verizon in 2010.

9. allymac macrumors member

This is why I don't have an iPhone yet. No O2 coverage where I live. Can't be bothered with hacks etc. As soon as I can get it on t-mobile, I'll have one. Mind you, my work contract is O2 and I might be able to get one on that.

10. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

it's times like these that im glad i dont make many phonecalls and that I live right in a major city, but not so major as NYC

although when I was out in SF mobile internet was suffering around union sq.

11. alm99 thread starter macrumors 6502

If I could get at least one bar to send and receive text messages with I would be fine. I rarely make phone calls. It's the "No Service" that I can't deal with.

12. manhattanmania macrumors regular

i feel your pain-- this was my situation with the first iphone. i came from verizon's near perfect service and then had crappy service in general but none at work or in my apartment, so i had to give the iphone up. went back w/ the 3G after missing iphone so much and im lucky enough that my new place of work and new apartment gets service just fine-- so, ATT is more than livable for me now. it really sucks, but, when it comes down to it, if you have no service at work, the iphone will frustrate you more than you love it. so sad to come to terms with. haha.

13. FightingIrish macrumors newbie

If your work has wireless why not just connect via WIFI and then use the VOIP app. Problem solved done and done.

14. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Leave then? Who cares. I know i dont work for ATT or Apple so im not losing anything by you switching back...

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Buy a femtocell and install it over the front door of the building.

16. Kyle23 macrumors member

Kyle23

Even though AT$T is a crappy company I used to have Sprint and had service NOWHERE I needed it. Atleast AT$T has decent coverage for me

17. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

This dosent need a thread. I have no problem with people having problems with carriers, but i mean we have so many of these threads and you know what all cell phone carriers suck everywhere. They fight for contracts over certain freq. bands they argue with ads as to whose better and we are paying for all of it. So its a given that some will be better in certain areas and some will suck. Its your decision to choose you feel is best based on your AREA, not the sex appeal of the phone. You have 30 days to try this out, I think carriers deserve a thank you for that. Vzw will prob. never get the iphone, although many people may wish this (except me) it just wont happen. Vzw not only is using dieing technology but they will have to invest billions to upgrade their networks to make them able to still be usable with current CDMA phones AND new phones for the newly updated network. Much like what sprint had to do with nextel (Worst deal in the history of history.) they were stuck with nextels old outdated IDEN network and even more stuck with their own dieing CDMA network. Plus apple wants to target the biggest audience as possible globally without making 12 different iphones as its not profitable for apple then.