God of War 3

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by NoSmokingBandit, Mar 16, 2010.

1. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I picked it up this morning and holy christ is it badass. If any game deserves its own thread its GoW3. I only played for about 20 minutes but it was the most incredible 20 minutes i've ever seen in any game.

Discuss.

2. DdMac679 macrumors member

DdMac679

I should go pick it up but I have been trying to not spoil the fun till I have completed the GoW:Collection. I am glad to see that it has been worth the wait.

3. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

i downloaded the demo a few weeks back, pretty good, but the controls got annoying when i was trying to stab the birds to cross a crevice somewhere, might buy the game but meh i dunno lol

4. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Mine came in the mail today, gonna play it in a minute.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Damn how you get today and we get releases on a Friday... so jealous....

Will be picking up friday. Will be hammered tomorrow anyway as it's Paddy's Day :D

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

As if you Irish need another excuse to get drunk :D

I want GoW but... no money.... no time, my ME2 run was sidetracked by Heavy Rain which has in turn been sidetracked by FFXIII...

7. NoSmokingBandit thread starter macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Waiting for friday must suck!

I've killed 2 Olympians so far and i can honestly say that it was the most incredible jaw-dropping experience in any game i have ever played. Every single thing you do is just dripping with awesome.

8. angelneo macrumors 68000

I feel kind of sorry for them as I punched, mutilated and decapitated their body.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Waiting patiently for Mr. Postman to bring his untimely arse to my doorstep...until then Battlefield BC2.

Bless

10. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

I really can't wait to play this. I have the demo and can't even begain to wonder how the whole game will be. Sounds pretty epic so now I'm really getting ready. However I'm deployed and have no ideal when the BX will get it....:confused:

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I got as far as the 4th Olympian last night. It's pretty decent. There's a few spots where I've jumped to my death on accident but that seems to be prevalent in 3D platformers anyway. I finished the God of War Collection last week so it's pretty fresh in my mind. The gameplay of part 3 is pretty much the same which is fine but the story just keeps feeling more and more outrageous. It seems that throughout the series people change their minds on a whim just to suit the plot. Of course the games strong suit has always been the gameplay but I feel like it could've been a much better game if they had invested some more time in the story.

Still fun though.

12. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I'm only a few hours into GOW1 on the Collection...at the rate I'm going, GOW3 will be in the bargain bin by the time I finish the first two...which is pretty good for my wallet, I guess! :)

13. NoSmokingBandit thread starter macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

How are you liking GoW I? For a game published in 2005 it still feels fresh, imo. Pandora's temple can get annoying at times, but it makes the whole game feel huge compared to the lowly mortal Kratos.

14. zed macrumors 6502

Just finished GoW I last night, great game! I feel like I'm showing up to the party a few years late. GoW II is up next.

15. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

16. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Pretty Much :D

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, theres nothing like ripping a guys head off and using it as lantern.

I do wish the camera was free roam though...thats my only gripe.

Bless

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    PC gamer here.. but I'll admit that this game is outstanding. I watched the opening blocks videos on it. Jesus mother of God. Never seen anything so epic feeling and engaging. Real sense of urgency and battle. They should make a movie of it, I'd watch that for 2 hours no problem.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

20. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I've never tried any of the GoWs, what "kind" of game are they? What other games would be in the same genre?

(Online videos can be misleading, you don't know if you're watching a cutscene or actual gameplay. Often can't tell from a video if it's very linear, or more free-roaming etc.)

I know you're all posting positive reviews, but I'm always worried it's some kind of gamers in-joke, and it's actually an awful game and you're being ironic... :p

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

lol. Are you raiding the head shop again?

It's a platform/beatemup with some puzzle elements. It's old skool really with a beautiful 2010 paint job and it is indeed terrific fun.

Biggest critiscism is that because it follows gow2 it lands you right in the story. Even the intro which covers the evnts of first two games pictorially only makes sense to those that have played them.

Being dropped into GOW3 is as confusing as Bayonetta :)

Other than that it's entertaining gaming at some of it's best.

22. NoSmokingBandit thread starter macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

They probably didnt focus a lot on telling the back story because 95% of people playing GoW3 have played I and II.

23. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I'm enjoying it, although I find I can't play too much of it at a time....bite-sized experience for me. The whole action and epic-ness just gets a little too much for me after a while. But it's a great game, very well done!

24. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I started waiting when I finished the second one few years ago. GoW is just amazing game, definitely one of my favorites. There is no game that can beat it!

Finished this yesterday and I have to say, it was the best game I've ever played. The story is very brutal and epic but still makes sense. Game of the year, 10/10! Sadly this was the end of Kratos' journey :(

25. Nuck81 macrumors regular

You didn't watch all the way through the credits did you?