God *****! this ****** Mighty Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stimpycat, Jan 7, 2008.

1. stimpycat macrumors regular

Does anyone have a good way to clean this darn trackball? The clever guys and gals over at Apple seemingly thought it wouldn't ever get dirty / oily and handily made it unopenable.

Man it's an awful design.

Failing that - any nice alternatives out there?

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Stick some tape to your desk with the sticky side up and roll / rub the scroll ball over it.

3. stimpycat thread starter macrumors regular

thanks - didn't work but i bashed it several times in frustration and it's a little better now :D

4. Queso macrumors G4

Use the same technique that always worked with old style ball mice. Paper towel, the sort you use in a kitchen. Unplug the mouse, then whilst pressing the roll ball in with the paper towel on the end of your finger move it around in all directions. Stop occasionally and wipe away the little bits of grease that build up around the ball's opening. Repeat as necessary, then plug the mouse back in. You'll notice immediately that the ball now feels rougher as your finger uses it, as all that gunk that's come off your grubby little mitts has now been removed :)

I agree though. It's a pretty poor design for long-term use.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Bizarre. I've been using Wireless MM's for a long time, almost specifically for the balls.

As much mousing as I do, I never get dirty balls... I can twirl my balls with ease. What are you guys up to :confused:

6. bartelby macrumors Core

So much innuendo for such a short post!

I've had a MM for about a year and have never had to clean the ball once.
    You could try keeping your hands clean.. :D

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Trying...not to take... post out of context! I have a wired mighty mouse for my Mac and haven't had a problem with the scroll ball, but then again I wash my hands a lot. Some times I use 'common' computers at work which can be pretty dirty, maybe that's why I take care of mine at home.

8. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Unplug the mighty mouse. Hold it upside down so the ball faces down. Take a damp cloth (like the one that comes with an iMac or iPod touch or iPhone) and wipe the ball clean in multiple directions.

9. metallicaisgood macrumors member

The BEST advice for this situation is to buy a new mouse from Microsoft or Logitech. The MM is crap, it gets dirty way too fast unless you're a weirdo who cleans your hands every hour or so. I really hope Apple's next mouse fixes the scroll ball problem.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

We *scrub* are *scrub* not *scrub* weirdoes. *scrub*

11. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Having to clean mouse balls should have died a long time ago when mice went with optical sensors. Reintroducing the ball, even for scroll wheel purposes, is a step in the wrong direction.

I've honestly tried to like the wireless MM that came with my Mac Pro, I just can't do it. You can't right click with your finger on the left side of the mouse, the scroll ball gets dirty, the shape is too small for my hands, and the side "buttons" are too difficult to use.

12. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

There is a video on youtube which explains how to disassemble the mighty mouse without breaking it which fixes the problem. It worked for me but I broke part of mine. Guess I'm clumsy.

13. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

The cleaning and tape suggestions should work. You *shouldn't* have to take it apart to clean it.

Try cleaning with Alochol (isopropanol) and a paper towel - soak the paper towel, flip thte mouse over, and make several "circular" rings with the scroll ball - of varying pressure.

Then, do the same thing with the dry side - or a dry paper towel.

THEN try the tape, if it is not resolved.

Or - Give up, and move up.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Revo...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199933022&sr=8-1

Worth every peso, IMO.

14. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

This is Apple's recommended technique and it has worked every time for me. Actually they recommend doing it 20 times down, then up, left, right, clockwise, counterclockwise while right-side up then repeating same while mouse is upside down. Love the mighty mouse.

15. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

I blow compressed air onto the track ball and into the track ball cavity; then press down on it and scroll up and down.

That fixes it every time for me.

16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I remember with some of the older trackballs, you could pop-out the ball for cleaning. I wonder why apple didn't take this approach with their mighty mouse... perhaps thousands of little kids would be complaining they've lost their ball? OK well sell spares and make more money from peoples misfortune.:D

17. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

You kidding me? Wee Me would have jammed one of those up my nose Total Recall Style in a picosecond if I found one.

Or put it in my bb gun... Somehow...

Or the cat would have ate it.

Though - IBM DOES get 10 dollars for a PENCIL ERASER for their "trackpoint replacement tips".

Maybe Apple is sitting on a potential cash cow here?

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Dude, i think only a fool would put something like a mighty mouse ball up their nose... :confused: at least he/she would learn not to ever do it again. And Damn.. I expect it'll hurt!! Especially if you loaded on in a Air-Gun! And shot someone! Though having a :apple: tatts might be kinda cool...
    :D

Perhaps, If apple created a 'special' way to remove the ball.. then it'll be less troublesome, maybe use a screw or make a tiny hole for some kind of tool?

19. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Which is PRECISELY why I would have "found a way" to get it into my bb gun as a kid. :p

20. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Wow that actually worked for me, i have been able to scroll down in well over a month, thank you :D

21. DataThief macrumors member

When you order a laptop keyboard from IBM they used to send a small packet with 3 eraser heads in it, I used to save them and when working on a clients computer if I noticed that their eraser was worn I would pop a new one on. People would always freak out when it worked better. LOL. liked them much better than trackpads.