GoDaddy shuts down Police-Watchdog site RateMyCop.com!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by samgalvez, Mar 12, 2008.

1. samgalvez macrumors newbie

samgalvez

RateMyCop.com has become the thorn in the side of police agencies across the country. The website allows pedestrians to rate police officers that pull them over.Tuesday, after hosting company GoDaddy unceremonious pulled-the-plug on the site in the wake of outrage from criticism-leery cops.

Visitors to RateMyCop.com on Tuesday were redirected to a GoDaddy page reading, "Oops!!!", which urged the site owner to contact GoDaddy to find out why the company pulled the plug.

RateMyCop founder Gino Sesto says he was given no notice of the suspension. When he called GoDaddy, the company told him that he'd been shut down for "suspicious activity." Did GoDaddy make the right move?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

without looking at link, i think there is no way cops can influence GoDaddy to not allow this legally.....

i dont like alot of things but i have to deal with it. cops should feel the same

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You'll wanna check out this site then: http://copswritingcops.com/

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've never seen the actual ratemycop site, but I'd have concerns if it involved naming police (I don't know if it does) or discussion of ways to evade the police. Watchdogging is fine, but speech is not necessarily free if it endangers someone.

P.S. Rate my cop, cops writing cops, what's with all these cop sites? What's next? Two girls one cop? :eek: ;) :D

5. samgalvez thread starter macrumors newbie

samgalvez

2girls1cop? :D "Would you like pepper spray.."

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

problem with those web sites is people are mainly going to bash the police that pull them over for one reason and that is they are getting at ticket. People think of cops as the enemy because 9 times out of 10 when a cop is coming up to talk to you it is because you are doing something wrong. Almost every time when they pull you are over it is because you are doing something wrong.

People hate paying 100+ for a speeding ticket. Personally I think it was a good move to pull it. All those sites do is bash cops.

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

8. samgalvez thread starter macrumors newbie

samgalvez

Maybe that is because some cops deserve it. Most cops I have encountered are rude. Once I got pulled over and he said, "If you kiss my boots, I won't give you a ticket"

9. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Not as of 9:29 EST, as least on my internet provider.

By the way, how is naming a cop and then rating his/her performance put the cop in danger? Oh, and if people want to "bash" the police, then the right to do so is protected by the constitution, and I don't see how a rating site, bashing included, would be enough to warrant causing danger to a person.