GODOSMITH ICE MAX 3D Product Defect.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by paulwooan, Nov 12, 2015.

1. paulwooan macrumors member

paulwooan

I started the first Godosmith ice max thread here. I've been using the Godosmith for a good amount of time and I have gotten an IMOS. I decided to take the ice max off and many people here have been complaining about the lack of adhesive on the top and bottom resulting in a clicky noise. I removed the Ice Max only to find out there is plastic over the top and bottom portions. Once removed they have some sort of adhesion. I do not know why they would put the glass on a hard plastic backing and then require us to remove an additional layer of plastic on the top and bottom. Does not make sense. That totally contradicts the possibilities of a dust free install.

Attached Files:

2. AppleCaked macrumors member

AppleCaked

Is the plastic part of the adhesive system? Is it tacky? I am reluctant to take off the ice max now. I do have the clickyness around the home button and at the top.

3. paulwooan thread starter macrumors member

paulwooan

Its a plastic film on top of the adhesive. In the picture it's the film and not the adhesive.

4. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

this might also explain the fitting and adhesion issues many are having as well.

5. AppleCaked macrumors member

AppleCaked

I have a new Ice Max I have yet to install on my husband's iPhone 6s. I will report back once I do the install minus the plastic bits.

6. paulwooan thread starter macrumors member

paulwooan

Do you plan on installing it today?

7. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

if there's a another separate cover to take off on the plastic parts and they forgot to let us know,
    it it's wayyy tooo weird.

8. slub macrumors newbie

What made you take the Ice Max off, if you don't mind me asking? I plan on getting an imos once the Ice Max has run its course/the bubbles begin to truly annoy me (I only have two and one only appears when I put on a case but it's up in the corner where your secondary plastic cover was). Also, is the imos as smooth as the Ice Max? I'm addicted to running my thumb over it!

9. paulwooan thread starter macrumors member

paulwooan

I took off the Ice Max initially because I got 2 more of them in today. The adhesive on the one i had on phone was misaligned. So you can actually see a thin line on the right edge of the display because they applied the adhesive too far to the left.

Well. I am very nit picky so please take my advice with a grain of salt. I have went through 6 Ice Max and 4 Imos protectors already for my 6S Plus. For the godosmith theres always a deformed finish in the top corner (you can only see it in super bright light). And for the IMOS T've had black specks actually embedded in the adhesive itself. So they were there before installation. Also the adhesive on the IMOS is so good that if you get dust under it and use the dust removal stickers it actually takes the adhesive off of the dust sicker thus ruining the protector. All in all, I don't think either of these companies have gotten the true curved solution correctly yet.

Also I've used Cinder by Cupert as well and do not recommend them as well.

EDIT: The IMOS oleophobic finish and feel is amazing. I used them on my 6 Plus for more than a year. The godosmith though scratches fairly easily. I know it's 9H hardness but maybe its due to the thinness? I tried removing a bubble by rubbing with my nail and it made a scratch so deep that it left a bubble underneath.

10. Bamff macrumors regular

"I am very nit picky so please take my advice with a grain of salt. I have went through 6 Ice Max and 4 Imos protectors already for my 6S Plus."

I'm curious as to your previous 6 ice max protectors, did they also have the film on the upper and lower portions of the protectors, like the one you recently removed?

11. AppleCaked macrumors member

AppleCaked

No, probably on the weekend.

12. paulwooan thread starter macrumors member

paulwooan

I didnt pick up on the plastic film til the one I took off today. The other ones had deformed finishes on the glass and had dust in the m etc.

13. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

I don't get what you all claim..
    maybe because mine is black?
    it looks just perfect after 2 weeks with no problems..

14. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

15. willmtaylor, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

I have three of the GDSmith protectors now. (DISCLAIMER: All are for iPhone 6 and NOT 6S.) I installed one but was left with huge swaths that weren't adhering properly even after reinstall; I installed the second last night with zero issues or problems.

I have never been bothering by this so-called "clicking" at the top or bottom. If I firmly press down on a solid surface, I can feel/hear a slight clicking if it's quiet enough, but surely this cannot be what people are complaining about, especially if the rest of the product/installation is fine. I'm saving the third protector as a backup.

16. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

yes, this is what the OCD people are complaining about.
    it's not PERFECT.

17. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

mine doesn't click but there is no adhesive under the black parts...

18. Wildeface macrumors newbie

Same with mine. I'm concerned about dust getting in there. What's the point of having a protector on if debris get in.

My Cupertino Phantom just shipped and I plan on pairing that with a Tozo case.

19. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

FWIW, I had mine on for a month and didn't baby it at all. When I took it off, there was little to no debris under it. YMMV.

20. Wildeface macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity, what case are you using? It seems like the Apple leather case holds the corners down fairly well.

21. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

I alternated between 3 options:
    • Tech 21 ego mesh
    • Incipio NGP
    • Commando

22. randjepandje, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015

randjepandje macrumors newbie

Took off my Ice Max 3d (iPhone 6s Plus White) and also found the two plastic strips.
    But it's almost impossible to remove them... I think the plastic strips suppose to be there, but why......? beats me.

(now i have dust and a hair between my screenprotector and iphone, i'm gonna try to wash it with soapwater hope it will leave the adhesive intact)

edit: well, i think the 'plastic' parts on my IM3d were the adhesive parts, but less adhesive than the adhesive on the screen and the borders on the sides. Now i'm stuck with a lot of water stuck between the protector and iPhone screen (were is my silicagel to suck it out when i need it. Gonna try it with rice).

23. comfortingsound macrumors newbie

Any update?

24. tenderhand macrumors newbie

I've done it. Don't do it. Although not that sticky, underneath the so-called second film, there is absolutely no adhesive.

Also, that little layer of film seems to keep the top and bottom bezels at the same level as the glass - when I took off the film on the top and bottom bezels and reinstalled, every time I pushed with some force at the top and bottom edges, bubbles would appear on my screen.

Cinder came a day after, and I like it better. The area around the home button seems to be set more firmly.

This was on a black 6s+

25. paulwooan thread starter macrumors member

paulwooan

Did you order Cinder from their website? How long did it take you to get?