Goflex thunderbolt adapter + Momentus XT 2.5"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JamesM, Jun 7, 2012.

1. JamesM macrumors regular

Originally posted this in the peripherals section but had no responses

I have a 2.5" 500GB Momentus XT and was wondering if I would see much of a benefit in putting that in the Goflex adapter as a boot drive.

Does anyone have this setup, if so what speeds are you seeing?

The current 2TB 7200 internal is doing around 100MB/s

2. omvs macrumors 6502

Last year I put a Momentus 500GB XT in my macbook pro as a replacement internal drive. Overall, I'm not impressed - in real world work it feels actually slower than the Barracuda 1TB drive in my iMac. My guess is you could go down to FW800 interface and not notice the speed difference - sure it'll be a bit slower on sustained BW for large files, but the access time will still be the same.

I've heard the 750GB drive has a larger flash (not sure exact size), so maybe it'd be better than the 500GB. But I'm skeptical it'll still feel any faster.

In comparison, the OCZ Vertex 2 I have with the goflex thunderbolt adapter *IS* way, way faster than both the Barracuda and the Momentus. Expensive but well worth it IMAO.

3. JamesM thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply

I originally got the XT for my MBP and didn't see any performance increase either but it was running on SATA 150 so I attributed it to that.

Thought it would perform better over TB, I might still do this as I already have the drive and it would interesting to see. I can then always upgrade to an SSD after and I'll already have the adapter.

4. omvs macrumors 6502

I just checked and my MBP is saying its 3GB link, so I guess mine is running SATA2. It did feel somewhat faster than the laptop old drive, just not significantly better than the desktop.

Looking again, most of the online reviews seem to indicate its better than most 3.5" drives, so maybe my usage pattern is different. I just noticed that there's a firmware upgrade to the drive which I should probably do. Maybe that'll help...

I certainly wouldn't drop $150 on the thunderbolt adapter just for this, but if you're planning on eventually going SSD, that makes more sense.