Goin' Old School: Anyone know how to bring back the pinstripes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MonkeyClaw, Feb 16, 2010.

1. MonkeyClaw macrumors regular

MonkeyClaw

Today I was using my old PowerBook G4 and suddenly got a little nostalgic. Even though Leopard is awesome, I felt this urge to relive the joy I remember when I first used OS X.

So I was wondering, do any of you out there know of any software or any themes that replicate the old pinstripe experience of Jaguar or before but for 10.5?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Wow. It's been a while.

Now I remember but I have no idea how to get that back. It would have to be some kind of haxie.

5. MonkeyClaw thread starter macrumors regular

MonkeyClaw

Heh, yea I know, thought it would be kinda fun...

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah I wish there was a way. Currently there is no way to get them back :(

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You know with a program called docker, you can get your 2D dock back

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

The Leopard/Snow Leopard 2-D just isn't the same. The old Dock with the faint pinstripes and able to watch minimized video (it's not practical but still) was amazing.

10. MonkeyClaw thread starter macrumors regular

MonkeyClaw

Yea I've got the 2D dock on right now (you dont even need docker, you can use the terminal, can't remember the exact code but thats why google is here to the rescue, or bing if you're one of those people, :p)

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It's so stupid that they took that dock feature out. Sure it was pointless, but it was a pretty cool way to demo all the cool little features of OS X. Made it feel more like a fancified Linux computer.

12. typod16 macrumors newbie

RE: Goin' Old School: bring back the pinstripes?

Beware...If you really wan't to bring back the pinstripes, it will take some digging with UI files. ;)

If running Pre-Leopard: There is a file called "Extras.rsrc" and "Extras2.rsrc" they store almost all graphic files for the finder and for System UI. "Extras.rsrc" is used for PPC Macs and "Extras2.rsrc" is used for Intel Macs. You need to use a program called ThemePark to open Extras.rsrc http://download.cnet.com/ThemePark/3000-18551_4-10209258.html

You can find out about the file here: http://macthemes.net/wiki/Extras.rsrc

For those with Leopard, Changing UI files is a much more complicated process, I too have modded a Leopard machine to look like Puma :D. Google "sARTfile.bin" and you will find an entire community who is skinning leopard UI.

MonkeyClaw If you still want to skin your system, I can walk you through it. You will need a copy of Jaguar to pull the Extras.rsrc file.

Welcome to UI Modding, Its a pretty straightforward process if you're willing to try. Just remember...Back up all important system files :eek:

Tyler

13. theBounder macrumors newbie

Pinstripes

@typod16-- I am also running Leopard but am desperate to bring back the pinstripes look to my system.

i have got a copy of Jaguar and would be very grateful if you would walk me through the process you mention in your post.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ivan.