Goin' to Italy!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JurgenWigg, Dec 19, 2007.

1. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

I'm off to study political culture and issues abroad in Italy through my university, going to Rome, Venice, L'Aquila, Florence, and Naples for the month of January.

Anyone have any cool experiences in these cities and have any travel tips for me?

2. termina3 macrumors 65816

Cave! (latin for "beware!")

Gypsies will occasionally toss their babies into your arms, and then pick-pocket you. Step aside, let the baby fall, or just punch them in the face.

Also, try to go somewhere without the tourist influence once… it's bound to be a neat experience–one that I wish I had taken advantage of while I was in Italy.

3. JurgenWigg thread starter macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

Haha, thanks for the advice! I'm going to be in Venice for about a week, so I'm definitely going to try and strike out to the mainland to try and find some cool off the beaten path towns.

4. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Have they worked out the garbage problems in Naples yet? Might give you a first hand look at issues abroad :eek:

5. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I went to visit my cousin years ago while he was stationed in Naples. Naples itself is kind of boring, but near there I would recommend Pompeii (take a whole day and lots of walking) and the island of Capri. Rome has tons of stuff to look at along with Florencia. I made the mistake of climbing Mt Vesuvius right after spending the day at Pompeii. Eats lots of good local food, don't sleep in the back of your car in a Burgerking parking lot, stop when cops on side of the road with big guns hold up this little red stop sign and wave you to pull over ;).

- James

6. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

If you keep your hands in your pockets, they won't throw their babies at you.

7. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

8. JurgenWigg thread starter macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

Awesome pictures! Any chance I can get a rescaled one of Capri for my wallpaper? Ill send you a PM

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I've been to Florence, Rome, Naples, and Venice of the cities on your list, and thought that Venice was by far the most interesting. It no doubt helped that we stayed with a friend (local) who gave us insight into the city.

Make sure to bring a camera, and don't worry about gypsies throwing babies at you. We were never accosted once in the entire time there.

Attached Files:

10. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

well done, Italy is a wonderful place, nice people, great architecture (take a camera) and the best food you can get.
    My brother has a few places out there, 2 in Tuscany and 1 in Rome, and the food never fails to impress, also take a trip to Lake Garda, it's fantastic there.
    you will have the time of your life :D

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Wherever you are in Italy, If you don't see a restaurant you particularly fancy, don't settle, there's always a great one round the corner :)

12. termina3 macrumors 65816

13. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

If you're going to be in tourist-y areas, consider putting your money in a money belt. In over three months in Italy, the only time a pickpocket tried to get me (that I detected), I was in Venice. He was foiled by my money belt.

14. jwkicks macrumors newbie

Eat as much gelati as possible. Try local olive oil. Watch your wallet, especially in crowded tourist spots and any mass transit system.

15. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

You are going to have a great time. Italy is a really great country to visit (haven't been to one that's bad) and there is sooo much to see. I happened to be in Rome during the last World Cup when they beat France, it was truly and amazing experience. I second the recommendations to go to Capri and Pompeii if you can, Capri is very beautiful and Pompeii is very interesting. Overall, I think Venice was my favorite city but Florence was in a very close second. If you can make a day visit to Assisi, the Basilica and town are very interesting. Definetly make a visit to the Vatican if you can too, it's pretty stunning. Venice at night is also a must if you aren't physically staying in Venice. There was a pretty fun place near Venice (about 30 min away on the "mainland") called Lido de Jesolo, the main street shutsdown at night and there were lots of bars, etc, its kind of a place where people from other places in Europe go on holiday, kinda fun, but touristy, nice, clean beach as well. If you are ever on the road and need a quick bite the Autogrills are pretty good (kind of pricey I suppose), they are kind of like an extremely uptown grocery, food, gas type deal, hard to explain, but the food was good (better than eating American at a McDonalds or something). You'll have such a good trip, I wish I could go back to Italy, there's just so much to see. Take lots of pictures and keep a log of what you eat, do, see, etc. If you are able to do anything after school finishes, a trip to Greece would be great, its a very fun and interesting country with lots to see also.

I second everything said by everyone else, except catch the baby if a gypsie throws it at you, your wallet isn't worth a childs life, especially if you keep all the good stuff (money, passport, credit card, id) in a money belt deal.