Going 100% Apple and new help to build home network, TC? NAS?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lehcim, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Lehcim macrumors member

Hi,

So that's it, after thinking about it for a long time and reading hours and hours, I've decided to move 100% Apple. :)

I'm already an iPhone & iPad user, and will soon be iMac & MBA user as well.

I will need some advice to achieve what I would like to have: basically I would like to have all my files (music, photos, videos, etc...) stored at home on a drive accessible by all devices on the network and also accessible from outside, but also securely backup the whole thing.

These will be the devices:
    - iMac
    - MBA
    - 2 iPhones
    - 2 iPads
    - ATV

I already have a D-Link 2-bay NAS with 2 x 1Tb WD HDDs inside, so I've been thinking of getting a TC for backups and connecting the NAS by Ethernet to the TC, is this a good idea?
    The libraries would be stores in the NAS and all the devices + the NAS would be backed up to the TC by TM, is there any better way to do this?

I must mention that my router at home is the N router from Sky broadband and that the TC would be wired connected to the router.

Any kind of help will be highly appreciated, many thanks in advance.

2. Lehcim thread starter macrumors member

From what I've been able to find out, TM can only backup an external drive fisically attached to any machine, so it will not backup the NAS attached to the TC.

Anyone with any idea for me?

3. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I've never heard of anyone using Time Machine to back up a free-standing server, like a NAS. I think most NAS units have a function you can run on demand where you connect a drive to it and it will back itself up to the drive.

4. matrix07, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

This is what I'm thinking about for a long time: how to make iTunes server.

I think we might have to sacrifice. Says buy a Mac mini with SSD (don't have to be big) solely for this purpose. This Mac will be ON all the time. Connect the NAS to this Mac and set iTunes to this NAS. Set this Mac to download purchased items automatically and setup home sharing. Next setup every devices including ATV to this home sharing network.
    Since you can backup your NAS by itself you don't have to rely on TC and if you buy from iTunes there's always iTunes in the Cloud. So that will solve the problem about backup.
    Now can we stream through internet from this NAS while we're away? I think so.

How does this sound?