Going above 8GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rickbull, Jul 29, 2015.

1. rickbull macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro Early 2011. Supposedly, the max RAM that I can use in it is 8GB.
    I have just seen a video where someone, with the same model as mine, installed 16GB. The operating System shows 16GB.
    Has anyone done this? Does it work? are there any problems?

2. jerwin macrumors 65816

Mactracker says

Maximum Memory 16 GB (Actual) 8 GB (Apple)
    So this is common knowledge.

Indeed, Macworld wrote an article on

The ramifications of additional memory on a Mac
    which features a 16 GB late 2011 macbook pro, also described by Apple as limited to 8GB.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, you can upgrade any Early 2011 MacBook Pro to 16GB.
    Here's an example of memory that will work for you....

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yes, I have 16 GB Crucial (Mac) RAM in my Early-2011 MBP. For example:
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Apple/macbook-pro-(17-inch,-early-2011)

Kingston and Crucial have tools on their websites, which help you to find the correct memory for your machine.

Regarding problems: Memtest86+ v5.01 does not support 2011 hardware and USB. It supports 2012 hardware like my Mac mini 2012 and USB. I recommend therefore that you use the extended (long) AHT (Apple Hardware Test), which checks also the (new) RAM modules and supports your hardware.

5. danakm macrumors regular

danakm

Is this exclusive to this model, or can it be achieved with other/previous MBPs?

6. jerwin macrumors 65816

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

This is common knowledge. All MBP from 2011 onwards support 16GB with no issue.

8. jerwin macrumors 65816

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Only the 13 inch 2010.

10. rickbull thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your help
    For snaky69, It wasn't common knowledge for me. That is why I decided to ask people who would know. Thank you.

11. phillytim, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015

phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Rickbull, I just upgraded my Early 2011 MacBook Pro to 16Gb of (Crucial) RAM without any problem at all. It's purring like a kitten.

I've been itching to upgrade it for a while now, and decided to take the plunge last week upon seeing how far RAM prices have dropped. Hard to believe that I'm entering into my 5th year with the MBPro, but it's still taking care of the business that I need.

I can't say that it's made a huge night/day difference in the operation of my MBPro, but it's nice to be able to devote more RAM to my Windows 10 VM while keeping a full slate of OS X apps open alongside it. Heck, I may even just be able to create a little 3 or 4 node network (VMs) to play around with, all being based out of my MBPro!

And FYI: my previous 8Gb RAM was fully being utilized by OS X with Photoshop/Word/iTunes/Photos open. Now with 16Gb RAM I find that I have about 5Gb free with those programs open. I know part of the deal with a *nix OS is caching and stuff for speedier operations, but stick this info-bit in the 'good to know' pocket. Hahaa.