Going abroad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by herodian, Nov 26, 2007.

1. herodian macrumors member

Heading off to Amsterdamn on Thursday.

Couple of questions... I couldn't find the Data Roaming option on the phone last night... can someone remind me please?

I have been checking out on 02's site about international tariff's... but does or has anyone used there UK iPhone abroad yet?

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

3. Bongolo macrumors regular

Hi herodian,

I have traveled abroad with my official UK iPhone.

Make sure Data Roaming is off (in settings > General > Network), it is off by default.

I also have 'My Europe' (£5 PCM for 12 months or £10 if less than 12 months) with this extra form O2, you can receive calls free in Europe and make calls at a reduced rate.

For data, you will need to find some wifi access if you don't want silly bills. ;)

/Bongolo

4. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

5. alFR macrumors 68020

Remember to call O2 and enable international roaming - if you have a new account it's off by default. Takes 2-24h to be enabled. With that done, the iPhone worked flawlessly for me in Ireland (Eire) last week, as you would expect.

6. iBore macrumors newbie

I had a few problems in Hungary last week. A couple of times my iPhone said "No Sim" in the top right hand corner. When i phoned o2 on someone elses phone they told me that my international roaming wasnt activated.... even though i had already made several calls over 4 days before this happened! they lifted the bar and things were ok, for about 6 hours! then i got the same message. another call to o2 customer "service" and they recommended me to "carry a paper clip around so that you can remove the sim and put it back in" and also to "roam on the westel network. try to avoid pannon and t-mobile. vodaphone is ok, but westel is best". interesting suggestion given that westel ceased being in existance in may 2004 when they were bought by..... t-mobile!!

i love my iPhone but have been seriously unimpressed by o2 since i got it.

7. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Seems pretty much par for the course for O2: Finger on the pulse as ever!

8. joe8232 macrumors regular

Hi all,

I am off to Boston the week after next and want to bring my new iphone [uk]. I spoke to O2 via email and they said that there was no way of turning data off on the iphone - is this true. I noticed a tab on the settings for data roaming - the slider is in the off position does this mean i won't connect to data on a network other than o2?

9. calculus Guest

calculus

Funnily enough I was in Boston last week. As long as you have data roaming turned off you'll be fine. I found plenty of free wifi while I was there too.:)

10. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

I have had similar problems with my Vodafone sim in my unlocked iPhone. I live in Dublin.

In Dubai it was was working fine when I landed and for days after on the local Etislat network. Then turning it off one night, next day "No Service". Everything seemed fine, no IMEI problems and it could pick up the various networks under Settings>Carrier. But could not hook up.

A 35 Euro phone call to Vodafone from my hotel and they stated that Roaming was off! Even though it been on and working. The iPhone obviously does something and I think it's to do with Data roaming....It was on when I got to Dubai. Turned it off and then the iPhone off and when turned back on the No Service.

Same think in the UK 2 weeks ago. Immediately onto Vodafone UK when I landed and off Airplane Mode but then switched it off and I think switched Data Roaming off, and when turned back on the dreaded "No Service"....

I have discussed this with Vodafone, they know I am using an iPhone and have basically said best to take another phone with me in case!!!