Going abroad.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Markleshark, May 5, 2009.

1. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Hello,

Jetting off to Egypt tomorrow and I'll be taking iPhone with me. Any tips to not rack up a huge bill? Data roaming is turned off, anything else?

Thanks,
    Mark.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Leave it in airplane mode at all times, so you don't receive texts, And use it as an iPod touch.

3. fang3000 macrumors newbie

haha you're kidding right? why bring the iphone then? He's supposed to use the payphone??

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It is there for emergencies or if he needs to make a call where there is no other phone available. It is very scary going to another country without a phone. Leaving it behind isn't a wise option.

5. fang3000 macrumors newbie

mm maybe he should get one of those cheap nokia phones that go for like 50bucks now.. at like the 7-11's.. not sure if that's the case in your country but it is in mine.. haha

6. Que macrumors 6502

don't bother putting it in airplane mode, receiving texts doesn't cost you anything.

i went to spain a few months ago and i used my iphone to navigate around barcelona, sent loads of texts and received several calls.....all of this use cost me about £2.50.

it appears that sending texts from abroad is free because the o2 £35 iphone plan includes a free traveller package, not sure of the details. the only problem is that you're obviously travelling outside of the eu, don't know how that affects the cost.

7. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Your post didn't say how long you are going to be there. If it is a week or less I would just keep it in airplane mode if you worried about receiving incoming calls or texts. I know I get charged for incoming text messages.

If you are going longer than that, then it may be worth either Jail Breaking and buying a local SIM, or buying a cheap unlocked phone and local SIM. It is usually quite cheap.

8. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

As far as turning data off I didn't have a data account at first so I flicked that as well but data was still getting sent to my phone (it seems to do it in the background or something)

I changed the address in the cellular data bit of settings to completely block it.

9. biggrim macrumors member

Also bear in mind that it is illegal to use GPS in Egypt IIRC. I would keep it in airplane mode and use it as an iPod Touch like the others have said.

10. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

The EU has limited what providers can charge for text messages, probably why it was so cheap but this doesn't apply to Egypt so he might want to be carefull

11. threezero macrumors 6502

last time i was in egypt. even local SIM and calling local number cost 10X than any other countries i have been too.

In one of the hotel i stay in it cost $10us/per minute to call to canada.

yes i know hotel price is inflated, but i've check non hotel rate they are cheaper of course but still crazy.

my advice is to leave it in airplane mode and enjoy your trip without the distracting of fancy communication device.

Egypt is one of those place you have to go see and experience before you die. enjoy your trip.

12. mbbye macrumors newbie

I was having this same situation. I am living in London this summer, and wanted to bring my phone along but not rack up the huge bill. What I've done is put it in airplane mode and turned wi-fi on, downloaded the skype app and used that for whenever I need to call back to the states. It only costs $0.02 per minute and I get no usage activity on the iPhone. I bought a 5 pound local pay as you go phone for local calls, but if you're only going to be there a week you probably don't even need to do that.

13. jeniferkey macrumors member

When I went to England last year, I had my voice mail turned off by AT&T for the two weeks I was gone (I was told I'd be charged for the time that anyone called and left a message). I turned off data roaming, but left the rest on.
    I could receive calls, and decide to answer, or not, in case my hosts needed to reach me. I also could receive texts for free and sending was .50.
    I texted more than anything else, since it was cheaper than a call. I was very happy to have the use of the phone in certain cases. I used wi-fi for most of my calls back to the States.