Going analog

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Sep 13, 2015.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

I love PPC Macs and it turns out that my enjoyment of these machines (although not the same) has revealed more about my technological desires than I expected; that I love analog technology.

Thanks to eyoungren, I have a floppy disk drive and a zip 250 drive (but no disks yet!). I am also using audio cassettes again and trying to get my hands on a really good VCR. I found this awesome set on Craigslist, but cannot afford it at the moment. The set includes the following:

1. Dual cassette deck
    2. CD/DVD player
    3. VHS player
    4. Laserdisc player

And all for $95! The seller didn't accept my trade offer so I might have to offer more.

What's even more fun is that I might also be getting my hands on a CED player AND a bunch of CEDs!

Is anyone else doing this currently or considering it? I just think it's so much fun to hear the very nice slide, click, whir of all of the analog stuff. AND it's fun.

One of the secondary reasons that I am trying to get my hands on this stuff is because the most original versions of Star Wars are on either CED, VHS, or Laserdisc. I can then capture the video coming out of one of the analog devices, burn that to a DVD, and then put that burned DVD into my PS3 and capture THAT video (simply because it upscales it) and then I can have Star Wars in HD!

Ok, thanks for taking the time to read this!

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I found all of that except for the laserdisc player at my grandpa's house. They are getting rid of all of it, along with a power and pre amp, and a set of stereo speakers. The speakers probably need recapped, and I think a resistor broke off. But I love vintage audio, and a few years ago was interested in VCR tapes.

3. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Wow! They are rare - if you can get that gear, lock them away for safe keeping :)

I love all retro electronica....mainly because I was there when it was cutting edge :)

4. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Did you keep everything???? Isn't it fun?

Yes I know AND my grandfather kept everything as well(including the original box and manuals for the CED player). The weird thing is that I just happened to call my dad not too long ago and he said that they were actually just THROWING STUFF AWAY! I told him that I wanted it ALL and he said ok tat he would try and save everything that he thought I might like. It's going to take flying out there and then renting a an to drive it all back but it would be worth it to keep that out of the trash.

5. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

It's great that all that old gear will see some life again :)
    It's fine collecting old stuff but it's even better when you can actually use it - my last acquisition was this old boom box, it's got a huge sound and is a great power amp for my Powerbook.

SuperWoofer.jpg

6. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

That's awesome! And yes I love having all the older stuff and actually using it. I even found a head unit for my 2002 escape that has a cassette player as well but also modified with an auxiliary input. I have so many cassettes that I just want to be able to use.

In goodwill the other day I found a dual cassette deck for $15 but didn't buy it. Maybe I should have but then again I want the whole system which is why that craigslist post I mentioned is the ideal purchase.

7. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I've got a pretty large Laserdisc collection. I don't have a great player, a Pioneer Elite DVL-90, but I'd like to land a higher end player. Still plenty of VHS, but I don't mess with audio cassettes.

Attached Files:

8. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Yeah, I'd put the big money on a top quality retro hi-fi stack - with some nice speakers the sound is terrific plus there's all the inputs/outputs to interface with :)

9. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

It's not quite the same thing, but I recently started shaving with an old-school Double Edge razor. Does that count? :)

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL. I'm analog for two reasons…

1. I'm poor and it was affordable at the time, or free.
    2. I hold on to things. I have a walkman that I got in England when I was 12 and the stereo in the garage I got when I was 15 for my birthday.

My birthday is next week and I'll be turning 45.

P.S. Will get you some disks soon!

11. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Yes of course that counts!!! Well, only if you're using a leather strap as well and suffering from dysentery.

1. I definitely agree with this one.
    2. That's pretty awesome considering Best Buy is selling a walkman style cassette player that does not look or sound very good for $20. :-(

P.S. Really??? OK! That's awesome!

12. weckart macrumors 68040

I wonder if anyone has a DCC player and tapes? Never seen one in the flesh as they weren't around for very long.

13. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

Tip for cassettes, buy from CVS if you have on near you. $6.99 for a pack of seven w/ some pretty nice sound quality. Maxwell UR-90 is what I get. I would like to try some of the more high quality metal Sony tapes though.

14. Possumgal macrumors member

Possumgal

Good grief, you guys are making me feel old. I can't afford the newer stuff, so if it still works, I don't replace it. My small stereo has a dual cassette and three-CD capacity. I still use my VCR for recording competing shows to watch later. Never had a laserdisc.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I had a set of 17" speakers I bought when I was 20 or so. And a 5-CD player. I'd still have them, only they got stolen in late '97.

That was a nice setup…:(

16. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

OMG, a 3d super woofer, i remember travelling from leeds to london every weekend listening to Def Leppard and other nonsense on my friend's super woofer, sat at the back of a national express coach. The other few passengers never used to complain. Can't imagine being able to do that now without getting my head caved in.

17. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I love my records/player along with my radios, ones in Ohio and my grandparents are bringing it down along with the rest of my records next month. I have some 90's surround speakers, and a walkman

18. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Time to bring on the artillery....
    My Kenwood stack - missing the tuner and CD player, thrown away because, "I don't need them" :/
    Shame is the volume never gets higher than 20% out of consideration for my neighbours....that's maturity for you :)

Kenwood.jpg

19. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

You must have spent a fortune on batteries!

20. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

You would think so, but where i used to work had them in abundance so i was happy. (shame there was no eBay at the time)

21. weckart macrumors 68040

That reminds me. My brother gave me a 300 disk CD player after he switched to a Vortexbox but I really don't have a use for it as I ripped all of my CDs too. It was quite the jukebox back in the day. I still have my TEAC separates audio system with a ridiculously oversized set of speakers that I cannot really open up unless I want to deafen the neighbourhood and get a visit from Environmental Health.

22. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

the biggest speakers i have now are on my XPS M1730... :p

23. swamprock macrumors regular

CED players are pretty cool, especially if you can find one with a decent stylus. I snagged one years ago, with 22 movie discs, for $20. Unfortunately, the stylus and/or the discs were so worn that they would just skip or get stuck at specific points. I ended up selling the entire lot to a collector for $50, so I didn't make out too bad.

24. SecretSquirrel macrumors member

I had one of those! The bass was fantastic and the two cassette decks made custom mixes a doddle. Happy days.......

25. SecretSquirrel macrumors member

I remember that when you loaded it up with batteries you could use it for a workout cause it was seriously heavy. I carried mine back and forth between Edinburgh and Belfast for years - I was a lot fitter then