Going Apple for college. Advice/Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluebeanie, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluebeanie macrumors newbie

so im new here and I have a couple questions for you all if that's cool. I'm going to college as a computer science major and game development and wasn't sure if I should buy a Mac. I want to get a mac but Ive read around and most people seem pretty biased. If I do purchase a mac would it be wise to buy the time machine, or a ext hdd, and which mac do you reccomend? And do you use any virtual machines, say windows for visual studio, or linux? Should I buy a tablet, tech, or any software you recommend for me to buy as a computer science major/game dev? I have a budget of around 3500$ but I only want to buy what I need because you know, college is already expensive. Thanks everyone!

2. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Are you serious? You already made a post about this.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1712479

3. bluebeanie thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Well, "Time Machine" is actually a backup-restore software that is already part of modern OSX. You already get it pre-loaded with any new Mac.

What you want to consider, since you will be a student and will still want to watch your budget, is to consider a fairly inexpensive but reliable backup hard drive that supports Time Machine backup.

The one that works great for me is a 2 TB (terabyte) "My Passport for Mac". There are also versions with larger capacities. Others here I'm sure will try to sell you up to a Firewire/Thunderbolt type hard drive, because the Passports are only USB 3 transfer. But then again, you'll be paying a couple hundred dollars more, and you probably may not require the brute transfer speeds of those Thunderbolt drives.

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Port...id=1393816227&sr=8-2&keywords=my+passport+mac

Lastly, when you purchase a new Mac, be sure to buy it using your "Student Discount". Go to Apple's Online Store to get this. Order it from the direct Student Store section of the Apple Online Store. You will be asked to select which college you are attending. Only in rare cases will they ask you to verify your student ID (like certain special bulk orders, or if you have to speak to tech support because some mixup happened with your order). But normally, Apple Online doesn't even ask you to prove you actually attend that college.

The Apple online student discount is an automatic 10-15% shaved off the regular price of the regular (non-student) Apple Online Store. That student discount only applies to Macs (and Mac laptops). Not for iPhones or iPads.

http://store.apple.com/us-hed

Oh and one last advice.... are you capable of waiting until summer to buy your Mac? Because ever freakin summer, Apple always holds their annual "Back to School" promotion. Whenever you buy a new Mac during that time, they might give you some kind of $100 iTunes gift card, or maybe some kind of cash back rebate, or a couple years ago they instead gave you a free iPod to go with your Mac purchase. This only happens around middle to late summer.

5. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

No, not at all. People will ignore you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.