Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
so I sold my 2 months old 64GB iPad Mini 4,and bought a 32GB iPad Pro 9.7.
reason for this was that I wanted to keep this iPad for as long as possible and felt the specs of iPad Mini 4 wasn't upto that goal.also I sold the Mini 4 for a good orice and got a great deal on a brand new iPad Pro.

However just after 7 days,I'm finding myself using my iPhone most of the time instead of the iPad.
I understimated the bulk and size and specially weight of the iPad Pro.and now realise how better the form factor of Mini was for my type of usage.(web broswing,email,youtube).

I also bought the original Silicone case and Smart cover and I really dont like them,the combination of 2 cases just unattractve,unreliable and really feels like waste of mobey.(comparred to the excellent leather smart case that was available for older iPads).

I just wish Apple wasn't so stingy and that they out faster better processor in the iPad Mini 4.

I started with the original iPad Air,after 1 year I trade it for the iPad Mini 2 and after 18 months Mini 2 started to show its age,so I trade that for the Mini 4 and now Pro 9.7.

Its obvious to me now that the 7.9/8 Inch is the sweet spot size for a tablet.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Starting out with the original iPad, I now have all three sizes.

I'm not that fond of iPads in general, but find the sizes are just different enough to warrant owning all three. While I only have a desire to use them occasionally, they do offer a degree of variety that makes sense for me.

If I had to choose just one it would most likely be the middle size.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans

I'm not that fond of iPads in general, but find the sizes are just different enough to warrant owning all three. While I only have a desire to use them occasionally, they do offer a degree of variety that makes sense for me.

Not that fond of iPads but own all three. :|

I have an iPad mini 4 and iPad Air 2. I use my iPad Air 2 when I'm home and take my iPad mini 4 with me when I go out a lot.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013

You are not fond of iPads yet you own 3,I wonder how many you would have bought if you really liked them :D
My oroblem is not just the size difference,I feel Mini 4 is not powerful enough to keep another 2 years,so basically the main reason I traded it for the Oro 9.7 was the good specs of Pro 7.9 which will be good for at least 3 years.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I loved the Mini 4 and really liked the 12.9" iPP. I'd be super happy if the Mini gets pencil support with the next revision.

Part of me thinks the iPad Mini may or may not be updated. I still think it's relatively popular. But with Apple straying towards the Pro line, I wonder the future of the Mini will be. I somewhat think the Mini will be like the iPod Touch eventually and slowly be phased out in my opinion.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
My oroblem is not just the size difference,I feel Mini 4 is not powerful enough to keep another 2 years

Was it unusable NOW? I'd have kept it for another year and hopefully by then there would be a mini 5 to upgrade to.
[doublepost=1471805779][/doublepost]
Part of me thinks the iPad Mini may or may not be updated. I still think it's relatively popular. But with Apple straying towards the Pro line, I wonder the future of the Mini will be. I somewhat think the Mini will be like the iPod Touch eventually and slowly be phased out in my opinion.

I disagree. I think there's enough people who find that size useful, so it'll stick around.

Reactions: WenV and bensisko

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Was it unusable NOW? I'd have kept it for another year and hopefully by then there would be a mini 5 to upgrade to.
[doublepost=1471805779][/doublepost]

I disagree. I think there's enough people who find that size useful, so it'll stick around.

The Mini is here for now, that's for sure. But look where Apple is heading with the 'Pro' moniker. Unless they provide the Mini with some edge to stay In the iPad line up, slowly I believe it won't be in their line up in the future. The only advantage the Mini offers is its size. I don't see it being updated regularly like the 9.7/12.9 Pro. If the Mini is updated, it will most likely be incremental, but to what extent?

In my opinion, the Mini will be like the iPod Touch, still their, but in the shadows, slightly ignored, until Apple quietly removes it from their line up. Again, unless Apple can expand beyond its current capabilities.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I'd like the Mini to stay put and be anointed a pro*, rather than the 9.7", 10.5" and 12.9" rumored line-up. The mini was the best for my commute and other needs; I utterly love the pencil though.

*In current Apple lingo this is special, in the real world, not-so-much.

I am sure someone else posted that Best Buy currently has the iPM4 on sale for a $100 off select models. I have to pass though.

Last edited:
Reactions: bensisko

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
You are not fond of iPads yet you own 3,I wonder how many you would have bought if you really liked them :D
My oroblem is not just the size difference,I feel Mini 4 is not powerful enough to keep another 2 years,so basically the main reason I traded it for the Oro 9.7 was the good specs of Pro 7.9 which will be good for at least 3 years.

How can you really know if the Mini 4 is not powerful enough for another 2 years? It's about a year old now, and mine certainly hasn't shown any signs of aging. I expect it will run iOS 10 without problems, so it should be good for a second year. After that, who knows? But it has the same RAM as the 9.7" Pro, and while the A8 processor is obviously slower, I think that the processors have gotten to the point where it really doesn't matter as much as it used to. What do you use your iPad for that you feel a Mini 4 won't be able to handle in the next couple of years?

I do hope that Apple keeps updating the Mini line, but I'm not particularly worried about the Mini 4 being under powered.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
When I had a Mini 2, I was afraid it wouldn't get updated. Happily it did. Now I have the same fear that the Mini 4 won't get updated. I hope I'm wrong again. I love it's form factor. It is with me 24/7's at home and away while my 9.7" iPad collects dust by the Loo...
I do hope Apple keeps the Mini up to par. I love that little device. Love it!

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
However just after 7 days,I'm finding myself using my iPhone most of the time instead of the iPad.
I understimated the bulk and size and specially weight of the iPad Pro.and now realise how better the form factor of Mini was for my type of usage.(web broswing,email,youtube).

I also bought the original Silicone case and Smart cover and I really dont like them,the combination of 2 cases just unattractve,unreliable and really feels like waste of mobey.(comparred to the excellent leather smart case that was available for older iPads).

What about the Silicone Case/Smart Cover do you find "unreliable"? Just curious - I've never heard that particular adjective used with this product (I've heard ugly, expensive, etc.).

Anyway... I LOVE the form factor of the Mini - for me, it's the perfect "carry" device - much more-so than the iPhone. What holds it back (for me) is the lack of Apple Pencil support.

It's all a matter of personal perspective - I think the mini is great (and I use mine all the time), but I'm not sure it would be my you have to pick one device (due to the lack of the Apple Pencil and I would want a larger screen too often).
[doublepost=1471891092][/doublepost]

I don't think the specs of the mini 4 and the Pro 9.7 are too different that either would be noticeably deficient before the other.
[doublepost=1471891244][/doublepost]
Just no way I would be happy using my iPhone for the internet after using an iPad. I might if out and about but even the plus screen is tiny compared to an iPad.

Agreed. The Plus is just too small. The sweet spot between the Mini and the Plus might be a 6.5/7" phone/tablet. THAT would probably be big enough that I wouldn't use the Mini.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
I have exactly the same feeling. Coming from an iPad 2, I went to the iPad mini 4, the size and weight make it ideal for my iPad use. I use it mostly at home but can still easily take it with me.

I can't understand why they aren't making it more powerful than the iPhone. I prefer it more than my iPhone.

hoping they don't kill the mini!

Reactions: ColdShadow

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
. . . My oroblem is not just the size difference,I feel Mini 4 is not powerful enough to keep another 2 years,so basically the main reason I traded it for the Oro 9.7 was the good specs of Pro 7.9 which will be good for at least 3 years.

I don't see why. With 2 GB Ram and a reasonably fast processor, I expect my mini 4 will last a couple years. I could probably use my mini 2 for what I do now (though the improvements of the mini 4 are certainly nice). And when the mini 2 does become outdated, perhaps there will be a faster mini to upgrade to. I don't see why Apple would abandon the form factor, but if they do, then maybe it will be time to look and see what Android is offering.

I love the mini for it's form factor. I use a large pro as a whiteboard and a math notebook (and watching movies), but I carry my mini around for everything else.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
What about the Silicone Case/Smart Cover do you find "unreliable"? Just curious - I've never heard that particular adjective used with this product (I've heard ugly, expensive, etc.).
by unreliable I meant the frontal part's magnet (smart cover) is not strong enough at all and can detach un-expectedly,this happened to me a few time when I hold the iPad by the front cover (I'm used to Leather Smart Case don't know whether older smart covers had this issue or not),and I was lucky I didn't drop the iPad on floor.
It is also ugly,and without a doubt over-priced I have no problem paying premium for official cases that are perfectly designed and are nice to feel and use,but the current offering from Apple is anything but premium and nice.

You pay almost twice the price of that nice,premium leather smart case,and you get flimsy,ugly rubber case that isnt even secure enough to hold in place.
hate it.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
cliffs.png

Reactions: EDiTOR9

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
I meant the frontal part's magnet (smart cover) is not strong enough at all and can detach un-expectedly,this happened to me a few time when I hold the iPad by the front cover

Seriously ... you expect to carry your iPad around dangling from a Smart Cover attached with a couple of magnets ...

SERIOUSLY ???

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Seriously ... you expect to carry your iPad around dangling from a Smart Cover attached with a couple of magnets ...

SERIOUSLY ???

If you were used to the smart case, where the front and back is one continuous piece and doesn't detach, you could have gotten into the habit of dangling the iPad by the front cover -- a habit that now has to be unlearned because the Smart Cover plus back case combo is detachable.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
If you were used to the smart case, where the front and back is one continuous piece and doesn't detach, you could have gotten into the habit of dangling the iPad by the front cover -- a habit that now has to be unlearned because the Smart Cover plus back case combo is detachable.

That's an odd habit regardless. Do you carry a book around dangling from its front cover? Do you carry a laptop by the screen? That's just not a smart way to carry a piece of tech.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
by unreliable I meant the frontal part's magnet (smart cover) is not strong enough at all and can detach un-expectedly,this happened to me a few time when I hold the iPad by the front cover (I'm used to Leather Smart Case don't know whether older smart covers had this issue or not),and I was lucky I didn't drop the iPad on floor.
It is also ugly,and without a doubt over-priced I have no problem paying premium for official cases that are perfectly designed and are nice to feel and use,but the current offering from Apple is anything but premium and nice.

You pay almost twice the price of that nice,premium leather smart case,and you get flimsy,ugly rubber case that isnt even secure enough to hold in place.
hate it.

Yeah, I would agree. At first, I thought the separation of the cover from the case to be a cool idea - you could do color combos and such - but they are CERTAINLY over priced!

I did end up getting a Smart Case/Cover combo for the mini. I got hit by a car while crossing the street and the mini fell out of my coat pocket. The mini itself (including the screen) was fine, but the sides were dinged up and the back has some big scratches - so I bought the combo to cover up the damage (I didn't like seeing the damage and the case covers it perfectly).

The case/cover I got for the mini seems to fit pretty well - no complaints (except the price and the bulk it adds).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.