Going back to a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alex.marton, Nov 7, 2015.

1. alex.marton macrumors 6502

alex.marton

Hi all,

I have a Macbook Air (Early 2014) but I have been looking at the 13" Retina Macbook Pro. I do photo and video editing (which includes Photoshop and iMovie). Would it be worth it upgrading? The Macbook Air fulfills my needs, but I'd like to have a larger (since I have the 11") and higher quality display. Rarely I play The Sims 4, but I don't really mind what graphics I play it on (I can play it on med. on the MBA with no issues). I have time, so I can wait until the next refresh (hopefully Skylake)! :)

Thanks, Alex

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you'd like a larger, higher quality display, then yes. The rMBP will also be faster and have more connectivity options.

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

There is a noticeable speed difference between your MBA and an Early 2015 MBP, when video and photo editing are involved. And the retina display is night and day compared to your MBA.

4. alex.marton thread starter macrumors 6502

alex.marton

Thanks for your replies. It really helps making the right decision! :) I'm hoping to opt for a Skylake MBP (as soon as it comes out lol).

5. businezguy macrumors 6502

Two reasons to go with a MBP: the screen and the awesome trackpad. I know the MB Air has a good trackpad, but the force touch on the MBP is even better. I had the same decision a couple of months ago and went with the MBP. It was the right decision.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I really like the screen real estate of the 15" MBP and the quad core processor will blow the doors off your MBA. I think that would be a great upgrade. The 13" MBP is no slow either, but I think the 15" is where its at :)

7. alex.marton thread starter macrumors 6502

alex.marton

Thanks maflynn! I really like the 15" but the problem is always the price. For $2499 (the one with AMD graphics) I could get a 5K iMac, you see! :) I love the portability of the Macbooks. I used to own a base 2012 13" MBP. I loved it, very much. :)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm in the same exact boat as you.I can't see spending over 2k for the laptop when I can get a 5K iMac for the same or slightly less.

9. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I was in the same exact position as you two as well, but I went with the MBP instead of the 5k iMac. I did because:
    • I was able to get the 2015 15" MBP that Apple sells for $2499 for $2149 from a local reseller
    • I REALLY wanted an SSD versus a Fusion drive. I tried them out side by side in the Apple store and the new SSDs are noticeably faster than the 2015 iMac 1TB AND 2TB Fusion drive
    • I really wanted to spend time on the couch versus always being at my workstation. Yes, I have an iPad for consumption, but having a full size keyboard with the ability to edit video and photos while sitting on the couch was desirable
    • I travel enough that having a powerful portable computer was desirable
    • Did I say I wanted to get away from sitting at my workstation? I am using this MBP about 2X - 3X more than the iMac that is has replaced. So glad I went portable.
    I plan in pairing it with a 4K monitor around Christmas time.