Going back to iPhone 3g from iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mikielikesit, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mikielikesit macrumors newbie

I recently lost my iPhone and can't try to find it for a couple of weeks where it was lost. I am hoping someone can help me restore everything (especially notes, contacts, etc.) that I had recently backed up from my iPhone 4 onto my old iPhone 3G. I get the option to restore using backup files from the 3G from months ago, but the iPhone 4 backup file is not an option. Can anyone help with this?

2. mikielikesit thread starter macrumors newbie

Additional Note

When doing the standard restore, i get the option to use the iPhone 4 backup file, but get the message the software on the iPhone is too old. I do as it says, set up the iPhone as new, update the software, but then I still do not get the option to use the iPhone 4 backup, which makes sense, I'm just hoping there is a way around this.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can thank Apple for putting that restriction that you cant restore a newer backup to older firmware.
    So if your iphone 4 backup was made on 4.3.3 and obviously your iphone 3G only goes up to 4.2.1 you are sol.