Going back to ML because of Eduroam

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by XoFu, Nov 17, 2013.

1. XoFu macrumors regular

XoFu

Hi,
    I updated to Mvks from ML the day after release to public (not a developer) and things have been working mostly very well. I had to make some adjustments to some of the software I use but this was not a big deal and was solved without problems. I still see some beach balls but it does not bother me too much (I consider it as evocation of summer memories).

I'm not a power user and use my MBA as support to teach my lectures and scientific report writing and so on. The one and only problem I have (notice) is connection to Eduroam (via enterprise wpa2 authentication). I've tried most of the fixes provided in the apple support forums but I'm still unable to make things happen.

The IT guys in my University were unable to help so: Is there any knowledgeable Macrumorer that found a way to connect to Eduroam in Mavericks?

Your input would be very much appreciated!
    Thanks
    X

2. ufkdo macrumors 6502

I don't have any problems connecting to eduroam. When I install my school's WPA2 profile for eduroam, there are no problems at all.

3. XoFu thread starter macrumors regular

XoFu

I know some people have managed to connect without problems. In my case it has been impossible.

Thanks for the feedback anyway

4. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

5. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I'm having the exact same problem.

Really hope it'll get fixed in 10.9.1 or something.

6. Dokk macrumors regular

I'd agree with the above -- I think we need a little more info about what the problem is. I'm using Mavericks and have had zero problem connecting to eduroam on my rMBP. I gab with my department's techie regularly and he's not once mentioned a problem. Cisco VPN Connect, on the other hand, appears to be a different matter (though even that has been fine for me).

On my iMac, for some reason it didn't recognize that it had the profile installed already, so it kept trying to connect to the setup/openWiFi network rather than just connecting to eduroam -- a problem easily fixed by simply deleting it from my preferred networks list in system settings. All of that on the iMac was a non-issue, though, since I use an ethernet connection.

7. XoFu thread starter macrumors regular

XoFu

I've tried all the obvious things. Install and uninstall, delete profiles, re-create the eduroam profile... you name it!. I even clean reinstalled the whole thing (Mvrks) in case there was some sort of problem with the original install.

My MBA (2013) was able to easily connect to Eduroam when running ML. After the update it seems just impossible.

I've checked a few sites and some people report a (possibility) problem with DHCP configuration because of a problem with firewall permissions, honestly this goes well over my head!

At home or in places when authentications are just via simple password and not a 802.1X profile configuration, things work really well

Thanks for the feedback,
    X

8. ufkdo macrumors 6502

If there is a possibility that the Firewall is causing the problem, could you try to turn it off? You can do it by going into system preferences/security&privacy.

9. XoFu thread starter macrumors regular

XoFu

I did try, but to no effect. But thanks fro the suggestion
    X

10. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

My university (University of Manchester) put this on their Eduroam page:

"(Note: The Campus Network team are currently investigating an issue with eduroam connecting to Mac OSX 10.9 Mavericks, and will update this information when a proper fix is available.)"

Maybe the problem is only occurring in certain institutions.

11. XoFu thread starter macrumors regular

XoFu

I'm sure you are wright. Certain institutions seem to have issues with the setup of Eduroam with Mavericks.

I will give it another week before going back to ML.

Thanks for the info:)
    X

12. XoFu thread starter macrumors regular

XoFu

Rolled back to ML and restored from Mavericks Time Machine

I finally decided to roll back to Mountain Lion from Mavericks, because of the Eduroam issues and other minor stuff (with 3rd party software) that made my working days a bit of a living hell.

Since I installed Mvrks the day after release, I believed that my ML time machine would be quite useless (lots of things done in a month ) so I copied all my files, e-mails and so on to an external drive (not time machine) to restore after I erased the drive and re-installed ML. Readied my software keys, installs, power adapter and prepared a good amount of coffee to keep me going….

However, just for hahas I decided to try and restore from my mavericks time machine made about an hour before the rollback started, thinking what a futile effort!.

To my surprise it worked perfectly! and restored everything (user accounts, docs, mail apps) like a breeze! I could not believe it was so easy, after reading all the "How to's" about the process.
    What a relief! Way to go Apple.

I'm on ML now and everything works perfectly. But I can't wait to go back to Mavericks because there is something about it that has a certain charm.
    Although, this time I will have to wait for some issues to be solved.