Going back to my 6S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by opticflare, Mar 31, 2016.

1. opticflare macrumors member

Guess I'll just post and give my perspective for anyone weighing options or checking out views from both sides of the discussion.

Bought a Space gray iPhone SE today from the Apple store, I took my mom with me as she was looking to upgrade too, right now I am using a space gray iPhone 6S. I thought I would of enjoyed the compact and petite 4 inch screen once again.

Apple store didn't look any different it usually does, always busy but no lines or anything. We picked up our SE's and took them home and unboxed. I set mine up on iCloud and restored fully, used throughout the day up until now as my iPhone 6S is restoring back from iCloud as we speak and popped my SIM back into it.

I love the design of the SE as I've always enjoyed the way the 5/5S was built. My first impressions was I felt like I was back in 2012/2013 again on the 4 inch screen. I put it in my old 5S leather case I still had and it's almost like my mind went back to that point. It's a small and very compact and nicely built phone, but it was just too small for me. I found the keyboard much more clustered and harder to type on, and web browsing just wasn't as nice of a viewing experience. The dealbreaker is when I launched a YouTube video and trying to watch it on a 4-inch screen in detail, again it just kind of did me in on it. Don't get me wrong, my phone is not my primary function of multi-media, but I like to be able to at least have things be watchable and fully readable. Sometimes I do like laying down and watching a quick YouTube video on my phone, those moments happen.

Holding the phone my pinky finger always awkwardly rested underneath the SE phone where as in my 6S it rests in my hand a little better, it's a little more difficult to reach across the screen but it's barely a nuisance and very easily usable. I had no idea 0.7" would make such a massive difference.

Some takeaways:

- I do use 3D Touch a bit on my 6S, accessing my bookmarks, shooting off quick texts or calls, pulling up my reading list, and opening new tabs in Safari. It will be nice to retain those back on my 6S.

- Battery life was very impressive on the SE as it did already seem on pace to be a little longer then my 6S but it's not a dealbreaker. With my usage habits I have never come close to running out of juice in a single day on my 6S.

- My SE had some loose volume and power buttons, along with a very loose and annoying loud clicky-clacky home button, accompanied by a yellow screen. The SE lottery was not kind to me. This was a far cry from my literal near-perfect even white screen on my 6S. Seriously, my 6S has the nicest white screen I have ever seen, just an ever so slight blue hue to it that really tops it off for me. OCD'ers beware :D

On the other hand, my mom got a really nice rose gold SE with a good white screen (not quite as good as my 6S but not worth exchanging over), firm buttons .. she is very happy with her phone as she's older and likes the smaller screen.

As for me, I'll stick with the 6S, but it was fun to use for a day. Great little fast phone if you like truly small phones!

2. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

Sorry to hear! So far I love it. It's light and doesnt feel like it's too big and I haven't had any issues so far.

3. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

Thanks for sharing your observations. So SE is also susceptible to yellow screens. Interesting.

Cheers !

4. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

Your experience pretty much matches mine. The only thing that I prefer about the SE is the comfort in holding it. The screen felt pretty cramped. I could probably adjust over a few days/weeks, but I think I find it nicer to have a bigger screen. I definitely enjoy using 3D Touch.

I also had some yellow on the top of the screen, not a ton but there. There was some sort of defect that looked like a scratch underneath my screen and my power button rattled badly. Logically, the same possible defects effect the SE as the 5S.

5. stopcryingmaxap Suspended

seems so many defective units. want buy my iphone se from Australia :3 , no problem at all lad :3
    I've been using a 4 inch phone for a long time, so there is no change for me haha :)

6. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

I think the exchange rate would be to my disadvantage