Going back to (or coming back) MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nyc4lifedt, Aug 13, 2011.

1. nyc4lifedt macrumors member

Ditched MacBook Pro for the past couple of months. Tried out all of Mac lines, decided to go back (or come back) to MacBook Pro.

Had been a MacBook Pro 15 inch user since PowerBook days to current Unibody design. I realize now that once you go MBP, you can't really go to anything else.

1) MacBook Air. Thought it would be good enough to replace MacBook Pro about now. And to a certain extent, it was true. It's no longer sluggish. SSD makes a big difference and processing power was as good as MBPs from previous years. But couldn't overcome integrated graphics card and lack of storage. I connect Cinema Display and MacBook Air couldn't really handle it. I knew it wouldn't be quite the desktop replacement that MBPs can be, but the fan inside would kick in too frequently and heavy applications would obviously drag it down. Also going from 500GB to 256GB was no fun. SSD is definitely better than HDD, but once I hit that 200GB storage capacity, rest of unused 50GB made me feel anxious. Can't complain though, since I expected all of it. Liked the design and portability of MacBook Airs, but it's definitely not for power users. I would say for most of everyday and casual users, MacBook Airs the way to go now. It's well built and might be "better" than MBPs until the it gets an update sometime soon. Had to return it.

2) iMac. Best choice if you do not need a notebook. Powerful and beautiful. Just a single monitor with a single cord, wireless keyboard and mouse. But as the dude at Apple Store said (which I thought was funny enough that I want to share with you), when a Honda driver (notebook) is given the keys to a Toyota Car (desktop), it's difficult to adjust. True. I carry iPads for my mobility needs now, but not being able to move iMac was no fun. My friend bought it from me minus taxes to replace his four year old PC. (I should get a prize for switching a PC user to a Mac. Probably not, but...)

3) Mac mini. Connected to Cinema Display and my existing keyboard and mouse. Same deal with the iMac. I'm a big fan of Mac minis. It can be an entry level desktop, much better than any other tower desktops. The processor in it and its compact size fits anywhere and for any needs. But it isn't a power machine. Expecting it is wrong. It better fits as a home theater computer, which is where it's going. Connected it to HDTV, works great.

Stick with the MacBook Pro. At least until the new design comes out. Thinner and no optical and no other ports (ethernet, firewire) shouldn't be too big of a deal, since all things are moving digital and wireless anyway.

2. jake4ever macrumors regular

What is the point of this?

3. neech7 macrumors member

Wireless is nice but not there yet. Speed, and especially reliability is still an issue. Any time I can plug in an ethernet cable, I would.

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Enlighten me on how you managed to escape the godlike computing power of the 12-core Mac Pro. :cool:

5. marc11 macrumors 68000

I am still struggling with the analogy "when a Honda driver is given the keys to a Toyota" they are both CARS of the general same size, speed, power, etc, I am lost on how that compares to moving from a laptop or portable computer to a desktop.

Each has its place, if you didn't like the nailed to the desk iMac, not sure why you tried the Mini, like wise, if you didn't like the lack of space and power of the Air, why did you try the mini?

Sounds to me like you needed to evaluate your needs from your wants and pick the right machine, but instead of putting pen to paper and thought to reason you just used your wallet to find the right machine. Congrats, I suppose???

6. hammten macrumors regular

This... OP missed the powerhouse, time to step up and see what you've been missing :)

7. bakasam macrumors member

You should realize by now that almost 70% of the threads started on macrumors are either:

1. Blog-material rather than actual discussions where the OP is telling you their entire life story (no offense nobody really cares about) and their experience with Apple products (rants/praises) as well as their logic/reasoning as to why they bought this model over another and why you should too.

2. Should I get X or should i get Y threads (Which is alright to some extent but most of the time the OP has already decided on what he wants)

3. When is the next refresh coming? Should I buy now or later. (Buyers guide for to this)

4. Flamebait topics where Fanboys and Trolls go at it with each other (e.g Performance debate regarding Samsung Display + SSD vs other brands like LG/Toshiba on the new airs >_>)

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

*claps* Thank you for saving me the keystrokes.

It seems like if people just read what's already there, we wouldn't have those problems... hmm...