going back to the stock 320gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jetjaguar, Jun 23, 2009.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

well after buying and installing the 500gb seagate hd .. i started to notice vibration .. and it is starting to get annoying .. so i am considering swapping the original drive back in and then waiting for a bigger capacity ssd to come out

2. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

3. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

7200 RPM I take it.

4. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

yeah 7200rpm .. i really didnt notice the vibration at first .. then after reading the forums here .. i started to feel it .. and now its unacceptable .. i need it to be quiet .. so im going to go back to the stock drive .. i doubt i will even fill that up .. even with some music ..

i will be editing in fcp in the fall .. but im sure the files wont be that big .. its a beginner class

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

So, before your read here that it was noisy your drive was quiet?

Some of people crack me up!

6. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

If you get a 5400 rpm 500gb hd it will be quit and vibration free.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

LOL. I don't know man. When I was reading here about which HDD to get, I read the reviews for the Seagate and many were like there IS a vibration but nothing major so I figured, why not. What I got was totally a 180. Right when it starts to load the OS (Apple screen) I thought it was my phone that was vibrating. The "buzzing" sound was so annoying that I had to put on music only to find that the vibration was pretty bad enough to feel and was so strong that you could touch the legs of the table and still feel it vibrating. Sorry to say but I don't think I got a "bad" drive, I think it's like that naturally like that but people have a different tolerance.

8. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I second this, I have the hitachi 5k500 (500gb, 5400rpm) in mine and it is quiet, vibration free and seems fast enough for all I do. (much faster than my old 17's 250gb 4200rpm drive, or the stock 320 that was in my uni 17 when I got it)

9. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Yeah this is funny.

If you had not read about the vibration here, you would not have felt it???:rolleyes:

10. Dip Falcon macrumors newbie

I second that motion on the 500 GB 5400 Scorpio Blue, that's what I got and the thing is as noisy as a ninja.

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I have that same seagate 500GB drive installed in my first generation MBP and it is just as quiet as the stock 100GB it replaced. I think there is actually *less* vibration than the previous drive as well. I read early experiences that people had with it and found that most had not installed it correctly. I had mine installed by at an apple certified repair center to avoid the frustration and I'm very glad I did. I just can't deal with keeping track of 30 screws.

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

To be fair, installing a new HDD on the unibody is pretty straight forward. There are only 5 things you need to unscrew, the bracket and 4 screws that hold the HDD in place and that's something you need or the HDD won't stay in place so really it's fool proof, unscrew 5 screws, screw 5 screws back in and you really can't mess it up, you'll know if you did something wrong.

13. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I was pleasantly surprised at how east it was to install the HDD.

0 tip phillips for the bracket 06 Torx for the four stud bolts.

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah. LOL I think the hardest part of the whole thing was finding/getting the 06 Torx screw! :D

I wonder though, with the vibration going on with the Seagate drives, you really can't put it to good use, I mean putting it into an enclosure would result in the same problem, might even be worse and I still haven't found a way to reduce it. I think Seagate really dropped the ball on this one, it performs as fast as the WD but the boot time is just the kicker, would've had the perfect setup with my MacBook Pro, damn you vibration!

15. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Well maybe you can put like a rubber insulator between it's mounts some how to tone down the vibrations?

16. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

The irony is that I put a 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Seagate in my 13.3 MBP and can't hear or feel a thing.

After reading here about vibration I even tried to feel it when the drive is actively loading thing and....nothing.