Going back to windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by chad.petree, May 10, 2016.

1. chad.petree macrumors 6502

chad.petree

I want to get a dell XPS 15 but I'm still undecided because of some possible issues with windows 10, could you shed some little on this for me please?

Is it true that virus are almost a non issue now, since windows comes with a good default antivirus?

I've read that windows start working quite well and months later it becomes a mess, and it gets slow, because of its file system, is this true?

Any chance of microsoft fixing its file manager? The folders etc the windows equivalent of finder on mac , looks really dated like windows XP with new icons and convoluted :(

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

If you have a computer, bring VirtualBox and install a Windows 10 enterprise evaluation on it. Then you can see anything you care most about Windows 10.
    Any OS will get slower overtime and it is inevitable, even the "legendary" OS X. But I don't know the exact reason.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm generally happy with windows 10, I seem to split my time between OS X and windows.

One of the issues that people seem to complain about is the automatic updates. With windows 10, they can come at any time, but with Redstone I believe they're giving the users more options to schedule or apply the updates during off hours.

I was tempted to get a Dell XPS, but ultimately decided on an iMac, one of the factors in going with the iMac was that I can easily run both OS X and Windows. I was not ready to give up on OS X. The iMac presents some odd issues with windows 10, specifically scaling. OS X does a much better job in scaling and its evident when you run windows on a 5k iMac.

With that said, I'm very happy with the performance and stability of win 10.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Windows 10 has been great for me and I've been using it since it was a public beta two years ago. Then I bought an Alienware X51 R3 last November and the whole experience has been fabulous. Malware (viruses) will probably always be a way of life on Windows to some degree. I never have any problems myself and I don't think I've had a case of infection on my own PC since the early days of XP. Just need to practice safe computing and don’t visit questionable sites or download nefarious things.

Also I've experienced no system slow downs on Windows 10 at all on any of my PC's. This was the case often with Windows XP, but since 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, I've not had this problem.

I don't know about the file manager (Windows Explorer) being outdated, it’s a utility and serves a function and it works well for me. In fact, at times I like it better than Finder on OS X.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Windows File Explorer is so much better then OSX's Finder. I certainly hope Microsoft doesn't "fix" it to make it more like the Finder. There are apps on OSX primarily made to replace or enhance Finder given its short comings.

6. chad.petree thread starter macrumors 6502

chad.petree

Well let me rephrase, it would be nice from microsoft to give it a fresh coat of paint, sort of like instagram did today ( and Im not talking abut the terrible logo, just app itself, looks a lot better)

7. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

I haven't taken the plunge on W10 yet. None of the Windows versions I've used has become slow because of the OS. There's been a couple of temporary slowdowns because of conflicting softwares. Easy to fix or remove. If one is attentive to what is installed (including MSFT updates) and downloaded to their system and does minor, regular maintenance (the native tools are fine) there's no reason for the OS to slow down. I think MSFT mostly gets a bum rap on this.

(The wildcards in W10 Home are the forced updates and privacy concerns. There's ways around it but that could change (even for the Pro version). I'm not trying to go off-topic with that. Just raising it in case you haven't fully examined it. Plenty of info here and elsewhere.)

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I must say that I do prefer OS X... but only by a rather narrow margin. One that is due more to the fact that decades of Mac use has biased me.

Windows 10 has been very good for the resource intense tasks my workload includes. While not without its challenges early on... At this juncture its very well sorted out.

Lucky for me I don't have to choose. My cross platform work benefits from both, and therefore so does my first hand experience. :D

9. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

I run Windows 10 with OS X via Parallels VM ever day. I've grown to really have no preference any more. I came over from Windows XP a few years ago when I was looking for a new computer and decided to go with OS X because I didn't like the looks of Win 8. I swore I would never go back to Windows but the way Windows 10 has matured I would have no problem.

It defiantly offers more option for hardware.