Going back to Windows (let me explain)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by im-loving-it, Apr 11, 2013.

1. im-loving-it macrumors member

first of all sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but i dont come here a lot.

Had a mac since university days ever since i got a student discount on a macbook 2007 version. ever since then i stayed with macs, i eventually sold my macbook and got a 2nd hand macbook pro cuz i wanted an upgrade, 2008 version by the way which im so happy with. But now cuz of finances im having to sell my stuff and im forced to sell my macbook pro cuz im desperate for money and gonna get the cheapest windows laptop i can find that does the job of going on the internet and youtube. so going back to windows but when i get money im gonna come back to mac :(

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I don't understand why you felt the need to explain, or excuse, or apologize for anything you need to do to anybody here.

You do what you need to do...who cares what anybody here thinks about it.

I'm sorry that for some reason you feel the need to do that!:)

3. TedM macrumors 6502

you can still hang out. We can be friends. I have windows too, but I'm here for the ipads and iphones.

4. eric/ Guest

eric/

I'd just get a tablet for doing that

5. im-loving-it thread starter macrumors member

good point, never thought of that, you reckon it will be cheaper than a laptop though?

6. TedM macrumors 6502

Maybe. It depends on what kind of tablet you get.

7. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

If I were strapped for cash, I don't know if I'd put YouTube at the top my priorities.

Also keep in mind, a 2008 Macbook isn't going to sell for that much, and ultimately you're not going to see all that much money in your pocket after selling it, and buying a new PC.

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I think Apple has built the brand in such a way that people feel emotionally attached to the product and company. So when they have to/want to break away it feels almost wrong.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You are right!

Just one man's opinion, but I think that is incredibly sad and lacking in perspective.

I find it disturbing that you are right...

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Get what works best for you, what you can afford, etc. It is not a big deal.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just what we need, more fair weather Mac fans. If you truly loved your Mac, and us fellow Mac users, you'd go hungry to keep your Mac.

Seriously, what they said.. ^^

12. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well, it depends. I think you'll get a better experience with a tablet than with a cheap-o laptop. I'd rather have an iPad then a cheap Asus netbook or something.

13. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Sorry we just cant allow this, I'm afraid your not allowed to go back to windows.

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Well, there it is!

Enough of this sappy do-what-you-want crap.

The man say you can't go back to Windows.

Don't mess with the man...:eek:

;) :D

15. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

How much do you have invested in software and the Mac ecosystem. You really ought to weigh what you will actually get for you 5 year old MacBook Pro versus getting a PC and configuring it to do what you want. I'll bet it is a push.

16. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

So you're going to sell your Mac, so you can buy another computer? I thought you said you needed the money? :confused:

Keep the computer. Your model will only get you about $420 in good condition. But when you take into consideration that you don't have a genuine charger, and your screen is pretty much about to fry, it just goes down lower and lower to the point where you're better off parting it out, which will only have you spending even more money with shipping and refunding when parts don't work for the buyer.

I think the real reason you're moving back to Windows is the fact that you bought a used machine without thinking about the possibilities of why the seller was selling it to begin with, you were just thinking of the nice speed bump that it would have compared to your model which is only a year older. Now there are issues popping up and it's out of your financial reach to deal with them.

Those older machines were a pain to deal with, I totally get your frustration. My 2006 model is totally wrecked. And yes, I did buy a third-party charger like you inquired in another thread. Guess what? It WORKS, but there are slight issues, like the actual connection being wonky, which you notice instantly when you put headphones on.

If you need the money, there are better ways to getting it. Like having a garage sale, going prepaid, canceling Netflix, and doing some proper budgeting. Selling the stuff that is 100% in working order will get you more success too.

But selling something, just to replace it with something else when you REALLY need the money? You're not going to get $300+ for that machine, so rethink your choices.

17. macalec macrumors 6502

18. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

I agree, no reason to explain. Within the last month I tried out WIndows 8 and found that I like it. If I could find a PC mobile hardware platform that I really enjoyed, I might be tempted to switch.

19. im-loving-it thread starter macrumors member

GOOD NEWS

I sold my macbook pro for £285 and bought a macbook 2007 version, 500gb, with snow leopard on it hard drive for £120 including next day delivery to my house.

2 problems, the optical drive is spitting out discs and the battery has gone

but i just bought a new battery of ebay for £17.99 and dont need the optical drive anyway.

did i get a good deal? :)

20. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

what happened to "But now cuz of finances im having to sell my stuff and im forced to sell my macbook pro cuz im desperate for money"