Going Back up to the next level folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NewMacGirl, Apr 27, 2007.

1. NewMacGirl macrumors regular

I am fairly new to my mac which I just love to bits but there are some things which I have to say are better on windows (well until I find out how to do it). Thumbnail or the filmstrip display of photos in a folder (in windows) is worse with the imac I think.

I am used to windows and its fairly easy to move around folders eg if you click on a folder and then a folder within that folder it's very easy by using the BACK arrow to go back up to the higher level folder (ie the one containing the one you were just in)

Anybody know how do I do this with the mac? -I keep on having to start from scratch with the finder. When I right click there is no back option and I can't find it anywhere. I know there must be a way

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

With your unused hand, hold down the Apple key next to the space-bar, and click on the little folder icon at the top of each Finder window.

If that's too much to bother with, use 'Customise Toolbar' under the View menu to add the Path icon to every window that you open in Finder.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This one's good, because Cmd-Down arrow takes you in the opposite direction (note that in OS X, it's cmd-down that opens an app or folder and not return/enter, which renames it). So you can very easily cmd-up and cmd-down through a hierarchy. :)

Related to the image viewing thing, I've just seen the filmstrip thing in Windows a couple of times. I think the "best" thing to do is to just let iPhoto take care of photos -- everything of "importance" is in iPhoto for me, and it's very easy, as long as you let yourself not worry about it and let iPhoto deal with organizing them.

In my Pictures folder, I do have the "junk" -- desktop wallpaper and other random junk. For that, I use the "show view options" from the finder menus to make this folder icon view, with the largest possible icons (128x128) and the "show item preview" selected. Then I get thumbnails of a pretty good size that do what I want.

I know in Leopard, the plan is to go to a more Finder-integrated "quick viewer" for seeing things like pictures without the perception that another app is loading, too.

Hope that helps. :)

5. NewMacGirl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tips-I thought it would have been more slick than this. How come they missed some vital but important things?? It's almost they are too clever for their own good they miss out the easy stuff..

6. live4ever macrumors 6502a

You could hit ⌘-[ to go back or ⌘-] to go forward to the previous folders as well if they aren't on the same drive or in the same hierarchy.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

What do you mean "more slick"? Why complicate things? More often then not, the simplest solution is the most elegant one.

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Vital BUT important? :rolleyes: ;)

Give Column View a try. It's very slick and makes it super easy to navigate up a directory.