Going crazy over FCE 4.0 Guide

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Opstech, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Hello Mac Friends,
    I'm going nuts looking for a guide. Does anyone know where I can find a good guide for Final Cut Express 4.0. I used the apple site, but have moved passed that section.
    Thanks a million for the help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What about the manual that came with it as a .pdf file?

3. Opstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Opstech

I was hoping for a website or video guide. the pdf was ok but lost interest. I'm a visual learner.
    The pdf is like my GoPro HD instructions lol

4. Opstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Let me guess, MRoogle.com? LOL
    Thanks Spinnerlys

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, MRoogle is also a good resource, as your question comes up every month or so.

www.lynda.com is a reputable source for video tutorials, although the speaker has not really a good listening voice.

Youtube has some video tutorials created by users of Final Cut, and they are quite easy to find, unless your keyboard is broken.

Why do you think MRoogle exists anyway? Just so we can point to it just out of evil fun?
    No, because many questions have already been asked, and the built-in forum search is not the best.

Why can't you take some effort and look for yourself, I won't do it for you, but I can guarantee you, I can find many tutorials using MRoolge, YouTube and Google within minutes. And so can you.

And if you think I talked down on you, think again. And I'm not out to belittle your intelligence if that is what you're getting out of this and the "ipod classic ssd" thread.

6. Opstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Opstech

All aside Spin, I'm not trying to spit on the site and I think you have great intentions to help us few. I have tried MRoogle and it's cumbersome trying to search that site. I do however, love youtube's generous videos on the subject. It's great to see all of it, but I get sidetracked by all of the videos and tricks that the software provides. I just wanted to know if there was a dedicated site for the beginning stages of FCE4. I did put in the effort to search for this and came up with 12,500,000 hits. I like coming to Macrumors for the help because people have had already been going through trials and errors and could lend a helping hand to fellow mac users. I know you're into photographing, but if you needed direction for help, I would help and not argue about the redundancy of the subject. I do owe you an apology for jumping down your throat. it's just hard coming from being a PC user and trying a whole new platform. (Adobe Film Editing) So if we can start over, it would be nice.
    Lynda.com is a great site, and you are right about the voice annoyance.
    Thanks,

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I understand. I'm sorry if I came on to strong.

What do you specifically want to learn?

I have read a thread in the past month were a YouTube poster was mentioned that has various tutorials on Final Cut (Pro or Express, I don't remember but it does not matter, as they use the same principles anyway) on her/his channel.

What have you found this far?

Have you also take a look at www.creativecow.net? It's a site with tutorials (text mostly) and forums about media production, including editing.

So if you have more detailed questions, you might find more and better answers there if you wish.

You mention you come from the Adobe site of video editing, that should mean you used Premiere I guess.
    I started with that software, after having a brief look at Ulead Media Studio that came with my capture card and immediately throwing it away. Premiere is not that different from FCE, even some shortcuts work the same like J, K, L, I, O and so on.
    I went the Avid route, so FCE/P is quite different for me anyway, I can't seem to grasp the trimming options, even as they seem more advanced than Avid's.

I hope that answers some of your questions you might have, and take a look at creativecow if you have the time.

8. Opstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Yes it's premiere pro. But I only used the stripped down portion because we only added text to the cut. I volunteered for a news station for fun. A friend of mine used FCP and showed us how he edits his movies/short films on the software. I fell in love with the program and that's why I am a mac user now. I love the OS and how simple it is once you know how to use it. The time line part of the software was easier to use. The windows, or video layout, is very similar FCE, but I find myself lost when trying the very basics to import raw video to the editing pane. That's were it's different in the setup. I was trying to find a guide, walkthrough, from start to finish. If I had that I could use it as reference to get the learning curve going.
    Thanks,

9. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

10. danimal99 macrumors regular

11. Opstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Opstech