Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
I've been watching full-length movies from an external USB hard drive (bus-powered), and I'm guessing that can't be good for the drive to have it spinning for so long. They are mostly 4GB files I ripped...

Do you think it would be better to first copy a movie to my internal hard drive and then play it from there? Or will the internal drive wear out just as fast?

Or even better- is there a way to force VLC, MPlayer, QuicktimePlayer, or Apple DVD Player to load the entire file into memory and then spin down the drive?

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Or even better- is there a way to force VLC, MPlayer, QuicktimePlayer, or Apple DVD Player to load the entire file into memory and then spin down the drive?

There is no way to do so. You are not hurting the drive by keeping it spinning for so long. They are meant to be used, and most of them even have good warranties, so if it DOES break, you can get a new one free of charge...

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Most HD's have MTBF rating of 1,000,000 hours or 114 years which means that in all likelihood the drive will work or fail regardless of the tiny bit of use. It's probably better for the drive to run 24/7 than spinning it up and down continuously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.