Going for 27" but which one

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Justmeinit, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Justmeinit macrumors newbie

I'm going to be using it mainly for photo editing aperture and lightroom and maybe some video editing going to be doing a bit of gaming but mainly Football manager. I was wondering am I better off upgrading for fusion drive or i7 and will I be ok with the 675 GPU

2. gagaliya macrumors 6502

- gpu upgrade to 680MX for $150 is a no brainer
    - dont need to upgrade the cpu
    - fusion drive upgrade is also a no brainer IF you dont plan to buy an external thunderbolt ssd and run everthing off that.

3. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

The i7 is a fairly large gain over the i5 when it comes to video editing, so I would definitely go for that. GPU is fairly important as well, but the CPU is of greater importance. As for the HDD, you have 2 good options. Either get the stock, replace it with an SSD and use the stock as an external, or just get the Fusion. Looking at the iFixit teardown, I would get the Fusion as a hard drive upgrade would be difficult and probably expensive.

----------

The i7 is hyper threaded, so it has 8 threads instead of 4 on the i5. That's a huge difference for video editing.

4. jmhart macrumors regular

+1

Now if you said the primary use would be heavy multi-stream video editing, I would say go for both the I7 and Fusion Drive. Photo editing and simple video edits are not going to benefit much if at all from hyperthreading.

5. vannibombonato macrumors 6502

If you're planning on simple video editing, which seems the case, don't worry about the CPU.
    Same if you're games are Footbal manager and the likes.
    Top CPUs and top GPU are only needed for very heavy -professional- video editing and latest-greatest games like shooters and the like.

With the fusion you'll notice a clear, impressive difference in overall system speed in any task you need, i totally recommend it. My slow-CPU MacBook Air feels way snappier than my old MacPro in regular usage, and that's just because the OS and Apps are on SSD.

If you still have money, then go for the GPU, it will let you play big games (it counts a lot more than the CPU in games) and increase reselling value over time in case the people you want to sell is into gaming.

CPU is important on very few specific tasks, 99% of users and apps don't even use it at half of its potential.

6. Justmeinit thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for the advice guys. It's mainly photo edits more than video