Going for Apple Care

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MBP*, Sep 5, 2015.

1. MBP* macrumors member

I recently bought a rMPB 13" almost new earlier this year which is still under its warranty. Having heard some horror stories I'm serious considering purchasing AC.

I had a preliminary browse a few days ago, but I quickly came across other third party providers offering the AC at a cheaper cost. I always thought that AC had to be purchase from Apple directly, but I'm not quite sure if this is true?

I'm based in the UK.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

It does not require to be purchase from Apple directly. I frequently purchase it from Amazon or B&H Video here in the US.

3. MBP* thread starter macrumors member

So I can shop around for the cheapest price, but get the same service?

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Well... be carefully. I wouldn't purchase from eBay (although people have and had zero problems). Its possible for someone to sell you the AC and send the code and then letter call apple for a partial refund. But if you use a major retailer/supplier you are fine.

5. rigormortis, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i think its only applecare + you can't buy from a third party.

I've had problems buying applecare from eBay, and worrying if it was valid and i think i had a little red tape
    but i don't remember because it was a long time ago. i think i had to call applecare for help activating it. yeah they refused to activate it, but some supervisor activated it anyway, so i didn't have to get a refund. this must of been like 2010

don't forget to save your receipts for your time capsule and airport extremes !! applecare covers these as well!!!! 5 years!!!

talk abut shopping around. when the intel mac mini came out in 2007 , i shopped around and i got a deal on G4 Mac Mini Applecare and it still worked!

iirc the deal with applecare is i think the codes have a expiration date. applecare is like a gallon of milk. they throw them out after its passed its sell by date, and i think this is why one time i had issues with buying applecare from eBay, it was a minor hassle but it still worked

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

AC+ must be purchased from Apple directly OR from an authorized retailer at time of original purchase. For example I purchased AC+ with my iPhone 6 Plus on launch day from an AT&T B&M store.

7. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

theres a 60 day limit on getting applecare +. and it involves an inspection / diagnostic test of the device.

it does not have to be purchased on the same day.

8. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Correct.

I should not have included an OR in my previous statement. If you purchase it from someone else other than Apple it requires you purchase AC+ at the time of sale.

9. iceman42 macrumors regular

he is talking about getting apple care for his mac book pro.you have 1 year to buy apple care for ur mac if u want to.they don't have ac+ for macs that i know of.and you don't have to do to a apple store to have them inspect it.

10. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

True

The thread got off the original discuss. But I think the OP got his info he needed. :)

11. tibas92013, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015

tibas92013 macrumors 6502

I must have been lucky as last Year I purchased a new IPad Mini 2 from Best Buy and around a month later I purchased Applecare Plus directly from the Apple On-line Store. They did do a remote test via the Internet to determine if my fairly new gadget was A-OK. I almost always purchase Applecare which makes My Apple Purchases worry-free, i.e., 2 Mac Minis, Apple TV, iPad 2, iPod Touch 5.

12. iceman42 macrumors regular

how could they determine that it was a ok from via internet.they have examine if there is any dents or water damage or if the screen is cracked.you must of going lucky for them to do that

13. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

The test Apple does remotely is enough for them to determine whether they will sell you AppleCare+ or not. Not sure what they are looking for, but it is not damage to the outside of the phone. Apple will do this test for anyone that wants AppleCare+ and either phones in to purchase it or does it online at a later date than point of sale.

14. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

I explained above how I purchased Applecare Plus for my Ipad Mini2, so, maybe you could explain your actual experience in purchasing Applecare Plus for your Apple Hardware??

15. iceman42 macrumors regular

i never buy apple care plus for my iOS devices i just get a otter box for them and put it on.otter box does a good job keeping them safe.

16. iceman42 macrumors regular

i don't buy apple care plus i just buy apple care for my apple computers

17. iceman42 macrumors regular

i don't buy apple care plus for my iOS devices i just buy apple care for my apple computers