Going for SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emt1, Mar 9, 2009.

1. emt1 macrumors 65816

So I'm thinking I'm going to order the Corsair 128GB SSD for my MBP. Anything I should know? Any installation tips?

2. xoggyux macrumors 6502

read this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=661948&highlight=ssd+128gb

the best option i found if you want to go for the cheapest that still offers 128gb, in my research i found that many people preffered this SSD over corsairs' patriot's crucial's and several others, also is the cheapest, see the thread and you will find images, videos and benchmarks, also for an experiment (I dont think you will want to spend $500+ in your first SSD) is good.
    Anyway leave your comment.

3. emt1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the reply. The main reason I chose the Corsair is because it offers reasonably increased speeds but most importantly it uses far less power, which increases battery life. 128GB is not a necessity for me. I could easily get by on 64GB.. so if anyone has any input, please let me know.

4. xoggyux macrumors 6502

if capacity is not an issue then go for this one
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=661948&highlight=ssd+128gb
    the cheapest 128GB out there, you could go for the 64GB version but though you could squeeze your system there MAC OS X likes to have free storage so it can use it for swap files and virtual memory, which would let you with very few space for you, 128GB is OK (and @ $229 shipped even better, also check the bonuses since sometimes they give free 2.5"->3.5" adaptors in case you someday want to put it inside a desktop.

5. emt1 thread starter macrumors 65816

The problem with the Titan drives is the use the JMicron controller, which I have repeatedly heard to be really bad.

6. xoggyux macrumors 6502

I own the cheap version of that drive and it works great I assume the TITAN will work even better. For what it worth all (or most, I dont want to generalize) of the people I have heard complaining about JMicron controller as well as stuttering problems have used their SSDs on windows... So you make your own conclusions...:cool: