iPad mini Going for the mini...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MauerFan, Mar 23, 2013.

1. MauerFan macrumors regular

I was going to wait for the retina mini, but I don't think i can wait much longer. The iPad mini just seems like a pretty awesome device. Is there any accessories that you recommend getting? I'll probably get a smart cover through Amazon and get it cheaper. If it matters, i have a 2012 non-retina MBP.

2. erichess22 macrumors regular

Good choice. I'm currently typo this from my mini :) but there isn't a whole lot of options for accessories. Good call on the amazon Smart Cover, the apple ones are garbage. I would recommend getting one that covers the back as well, otherwise they don't stick to the side well enough. Just so you are aware though the new ipad mini is supposed to come out in April.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think we'll be seeing a new mini until the fall and even then I wonder how much the retina based mini may cost. My point - I think there's no reason to wait.

4. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

Oh man...I looked on Amazon, and they have these slim iPad mini smart cases for $15!

----------

Doesn't Apple generally keep the prices of new products the same though?

5. decson macrumors regular

Love my mini

Did the same a month back, and even though there are rumours of updates in April I doubt if it is going retina it will happen then. If they release one in autumn with retina, great my mum gets an iPad mini! And I get a new mini :)

Best case I found and love it, is http://www.amazon.com/Jisoncase-Vin...&sr=1-8&keywords=smart+case+ipad+mini+leather

Do some google searches may be able to get it cheaper.

In the UK I got it for £40 and worth every penny.

6. erichess22 macrumors regular

I have one very similar to that but it was only like 4 dollars and it still had the magnet in it!

7. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I agree! Pull the trigger, and I would definitely recommend the Smart Cover as well!

8. beysus macrumors member

I've purchased a smart case thing from V7 for 16€. It covers the back and front. The Apple smart case is a littler tighter for the front but since they only got the smart cover for the mini the V7 was exactly what I was looking for and it serves it purpose overall.

Is there actually a specific reason why Apple doesn't sell a case for the mini? Do they want you to scratch the beautiful back?

9. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

this one may be a better deal and it's real leather too.. http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Motion-B...sr=1-2&keywords=bear+motion+ipad+mini+leather

10. cardfan macrumors 6502a

I never saw the point in the smartcover for the Mini. It was a joke. Just get a case like a Speck grip.

11. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Why would I want to cover up the back of it? The smartcover is perfect for protecting the screen while in a bag but without making it feel like a plastic tablet while in use.

12. cardfan macrumors 6502a

So you don't drop it while using it. Without something on the back, it's too slick. You don't need a cover on the front. If you're traveling or throwing it in a bag, use a sleeve. JMO though..

13. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I have no problem holding my fiancés iPad mini without anything on the back, nor my iPad 4. If I am traveling I might use a sleeve, but not for everyday carrying. The smart cover can be used as a stand when putting the iPad on a table watching a movie and cover the screen while in a bag.

14. kaylerrific macrumors regular

I think the smart cover is really functional and not very thick. I just posted this on another thread, but I protect the back with a thin back shell from Caudabe. (link is here: http://www.amazon.com/Caudabe-Shell...keywords=caudabe mini shell&tag=5336090759-20). It's really thin and well made, so it doesn't make the mini appreciably thicker or heavier.

OP, by the way great choice. The mini is awesome! You won't regret it and who knows when retina is coming anyway.

15. French macrumors regular

16. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I'm beginning to sound like a Caudabe homer, but I have the Caudabe Mini Shell as well and it's terrific. For the iPad 4, I feel like its bigger brother adds too much weight. But the Mini Shell is perfect on the iPad mini.

17. LightOnAHill macrumors regular

You'll love the current mini. The lower resolution still amounts to 160something pixels per inch so it looks good

And the non-retina display uses less power which is partially why the mini lasts forever

18. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Wait for the Retina ! You're going to regret it ! Just how I didn't wait for the new Macbook retina and I decided to get the late 2011 line up then I hated myself ! Although my machine is running like a beast but I still kinda regretted to this day for not being patient.

19. fleabite macrumors member

fleabite

Full case definitely was not for me

To weigh in on case suggestions, I strongly recommend you go to a store and try out some cases. I didn't and bought a full case online. It is really nice but I soon lost that loving feeling for my mini. Took me a while to realize that I killed it's selling points: poratable size and weight. I could still put it in my inside jacket pocket but the bulk and heft were annoying.

I tossed the case and bought an Apple Smart Cover. I tested it out on my mini in the store because of reports of weak magnets (no problem; stuck like glue) and collapsing when folded into a stand (also not a problem). Then had Ghost Armor applied to the back to provide scratch protection and grip.

Ah, in love again!

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Different strokes for different folks - I love my mini and while a retina model will be a welcome addition I'm extremely happy with the current model.

21. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

You couldn't wait ~30 more days?

22. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

We don't have anything pointing to a release in one month, I would imagine a new Mini releases in the fall.

23. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

You couldn't wait ~5 months?

24. AppleRobert macrumors 603

5 months is roughly 150 days. That is about a $2.10 cost per day. I think he will get his money's worth instead of running on empty. :D