Going From 10.4 to 10.5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by moxi333, Apr 27, 2009.

1. moxi333 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone :)

I have searched through the internet, and here as well, as best as i could, and sadly... I did not find the answer to my question.

That question is quite simple, and only needs a brief answer.

My question:

I am running Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Intel) currently, and I want to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5.5 (Leopard) But I am curious...

If i upgrade, Will this screw up my iMac in anyway at all? Jumping from such a huge upgrade, without going to the lower versions first?

Thanks' In advance all!

P.S.
    Im new to iMac's so bare with me here :(

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Nope, you shouldn't have a problem at all. I've upgraded a few Macs to Leopard and never had a problem at all :)

4. David2070 macrumors member

You should be OK.

I did this exact upgrade a couple of weeks ago and had absolutely no problems.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That said, it's always better to do a fresh install than to upgrade. You get that new computer smell. ;) If you've got the time and inclination to set everything up again, I say go that way. However, if you do decide to take the easy route and upgrade, you shouldn't have any issues.

6. moxi333 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thank you all for such a quick reply! :)

Really appreciate it, really great forum i found here :)

Also, Will i lose any applications/programs that have been installed and any other information?

I guess its not a huge loss, but would defiantly be nice to keep it all.

7. madog macrumors 65816

madog

The most problems I've had with Leopard involved updating from previous versions. When 10.5.0 was announced, there were only a handful of machines that upgraded without incident from 10.4.x (in my experience). Anything before that, 10.3/.2, was a surefire way to cause whacky problems with a system.

10.5.1 had some better results, but still had some weird issues when upgrading. 10.5.4 (or is it .6 at retail now?) may be better, but I would suggest performing an Archive and Install while preserving user data and settings at the very least, if not performing a backup and clean install and migrating data over.

All of the problems I've seen weren't permanent and were never too serious, but typically ended up in a fresh install/archive having to be performed anyway. I never have lost any data during these issues, but there is a very slim possibility of that happening (for any update on any system, Win/Mac/*nix).

I would suggest performing a backup/clone with Disk Utility or one of the free third-party apps like Super Duper.

It's always better to be safe than sorry, especially when so many things were updated and changed in 10.5.

If you do an Archive and Install while preserving user data you won't, nor will you if you make a clone and perform a clean install and then use the migration assistant afterward.

Some things can't be copied over in these situations which typically include third-party system applications like ones that add a pane into the System Preferences, and third-party printer drivers.

By the way, when installing Leopard, I suggest hitting the Customize button which appears just before the installation. You can deselect all the printer drivers you will never use, and deselect all the language additions and extra fonts if you don't plan on using your version in a nonstandard language; saving you several gig's of space.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Unless I'm very much mistaken, an upgrade from a previous OS version is the same thing as archive & install + preserve users.

9. madog macrumors 65816

madog

It actually updates the current System folder, as opposed to installing a new System folder like A&I. Like "normal".

Apple says that:
    .... and then goes on to explain the other options of A&I, and erase and install and so on.

It also surprisingly doesn't state anything about going from 10.2 or 10.3 just "previous Mac OS X". I once installed Leopard over Panther and the Dock had Time Machine and Stacks and so on, but under About This Mac it reported as 10.3 Panther, and the System Preferences still looked like 10.3's. Those were only a couple minor issues of the few that stuck out, but I don't think I ever had a successful straight-upgrade from 10.2/.3 to Leopard. :p

10. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

I would strongly recommend waiting for 10.6. 10.4 works, and there isn't much in 10.5 worth upgrading for. Seriously, I would just wait.

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Ah, thank you for the clarification. For the reasons I mentioned, I almost always do a fresh install, so I've only seen that screen once or twice.