Going from 11" 2011 MBA to 13" touch bar rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eggtastic, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I am aware that this decision pretty much comes down to what I want but Ill put my story out since the MBP threads are going bonkers with the release.

Basically my needs are not demanding (email, iTunes, web, etc. and beginning very light photography as a hobby).

I have a 2011 11" MBA. I almost pulled the trigger on a rMB because I love the design and again with my needs I felt it would be the prefect upgrade.

I decided to wait for the rMBP 2016 release to see what it offered over the rMB. Screen size, gimmicks, speakers, and what not caught my eye instantly. Price however put me off. I would be getting the 13" rMBP at $1799 if I decided to buy.

So, here I am in a dilemma. Get the 2016 rMB m3 at a smaller price which would be fine for me needs, or go for the 2016 13" rMBP for about $500 more. Touch bar, extra/brighter screen, etc would be nice but is it worth it.

Since I am upgrading from such an older model, if you were in my situation with my uses, would you go with with the 2016 rMP or the 2016 rMBP 13' touch bar?

2. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Why not just get the non touch bar 13" Pro? It will be noticeably faster than your 11" Air and it's only $200 more than the m3 rMB.

3. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

How much value do you place on portability? I imagine there's a reason why you went with the 11" MBA, it's either portability or cost.

I'd also consider the keyboard. I absolutely despise the rMB keyboard. I've heard the new rMBP is better, so it's something to keep in mind.

4. Eggtastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Thanks for the replies. I fell asleep so this is obviously why it is hours later.

I actually like portability but figured the new 13 rMBP with the thinner profile would be fine with travel. Also, I actually love the keyboard on the rMB.

As for the touch bar, that would be one of the main reasons for getting the 13" rMBP, so opting for the entry level that lacks one is not a choice.