Going from 11" to 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Drew017, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

I have a mid 2011 baseline 11 inch MacBook Air (although it was manufactured in early 2012, before last year's model came out). I love it, but for me, the screen is beginning to feel a bit cramped... so I think I'm going to get a thirteen. My cousin works at an Apple store close to me and told me he'd get me a 15% discount on a new MacBook Air, so I'm going to get it very soon. Here are the specs that I'd like to have-

13 inch
    1.3Ghz i5
    8GB ram
    128GB SSD

So I am wondering... for those of you out there with this or a similar configuration, how is it working for you? Also, how is switching from 11" to 13"? Thanks ;)

2. oldtime macrumors regular

13" is so much more comfortable. 11" is IMO not enough real estate for a laptop unless it's your #2 machine, something you only use for web browsing, email, etc. In that case I think it makes more sense to just get a tablet.

3. errol macrumors 6502

errol

Unless you use a secondary monitor most of the time. I think the 11" is perfect then as it becomes ultra portable for those mobile moments.

4. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

I had an 11 and went for the 13 this time exactly because the 11 started to feel too small. Love the 13. Weight difference is negligible to me and I carry a messenger bag all the time so the larger footprint doesn't bother me either. Increased screen real estate is a joy to use.

5. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

Its a really difficult choice - both sizes have their own advantages and tradeoffs.

I went from a 2010 11" to a 2011 13". At first, I really loved the extra screen space.

But after awhile, I found the 13" really big and bulky, especially since I travel a lot. Also, the 11" is really great for note taking in meetings. Somehow the smaller size looks less intrusive when you whip it out in a meeting.

So now I'm going back to the 11" again - my i5/8/256 arrives tomorrow.

6. Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

Yeah I figured it would be a bit more comfortable ;) And the reason my 11 feels cramped is because I am trying to use it as my #1 computer. Also, I think a 13 would be a better choice, because my school is issuing us iPads this upcoming semester, so I don't need my 11 inch to take with me.

Thanks for the replies folks :p

7. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

agreed. for a student, 11" for class and monitor for home is perfect.

8. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

If I had a Thunderbolt display I could dock to for ease of use, I would go 11" all the way... But I don't.. So I went 13" and glad I did :p

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I've never owned the 11" version, but I tried out both before buying. For me the keyboard felt too cramped, but mostly the screen was way too small for real work. That's why I went with the 13". I think it'll work fine for you with those specs. It's the same configuration that I'll be getting soon.

10. Ifti macrumors 68000

Ive never owned a MBA, but I will be ordering the 11" pretty soon.
    Im also looking to buy the max spec rMBP15" as soon the next update comes along - so that will be my main workhorse machine. The 11" MBA will be more for casual use - an iPad replacement - and used as a secondary machine.

11. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

You're ordering an MBA11, after all the screen cracking issues you've uncovered? :confused:

12. tann macrumors 68000

I find the same to be true. :p

13. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

I previously had an 11 and now a 13 and, to be honest, I don't find there to be a significant difference in weight. I still carry around my 13 as I did my 11 and it's fine. The footprint is a little bit bigger, but I carry a bag anyway, so it just disappears into my bag just like my 11 did. What I DO love is the extra screen space. I used to quietly groan to myself when I knew I'd have to spend hours on the 11. Now I rarely plug into my external monitor with the 13. There's just no need.

14. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

The keyboards on the 11" and 13" are exactly the same :)

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I did notice that when I put them side by side. I'm thinking it was maybe a psychological effect that made the keyboard on the 11" feel smaller to me. And that probably combined with the slightly smaller palm rests to make it seem more so.