Going from 15" to 13" + iPad - good/bad idea?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peapody, May 30, 2010.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I love my 15" but I am consolidating computers now and might need the portability. Has anyone ever made this transition and loved it? I am a little skeptical because I have both 15" MBP and a 13" Thinkpad X301. I find myself cramped on the 13" sometimes when I want to do hardcore work (papers, reading scientific articles, design work, coding). Also for some reason, I get the feeling that the 15" is just more "pro" than the 13". Haha completely shallow for noticing that but maybe someone out there has noticed the same thing?

Looking for advice on the 15" to 13" transition and whether I will be regretting it down the line.

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Possible solution = 13" + external monitor.

13" when you're traveling around, and then when you're home, you have a 20"+ screen to work on. It's a beautiful setup and a lot of folks on MR do it.

3. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I went from 15 to 13 and I am very happy with it. The 15 is gorgeous, but it's unrealistic if you travel a lot. The 13 has been a dream. An iPad is always a good idea. I'll be getting mine shortly!

Edit:
    At home I have a 32" monitor so there is no loss.

4. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

I am in a very similar situation to you. I am thinking of getting a 21.5" iMac to use at home, and then a 13" MBP or MB or MBA to use when out and at school :D

5. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

I am thinking about a 27" iMac and an iPad. The 13" doesn't have the power for me. I am thinking about the 17" i7 and the iPad too but I have a month or so to decide.

I think the 13" and a hugh monitor would be great. It just doesn't have the power.

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Where does the iPad come in? I don't think I understand why you would want to have two small screens. If you're concerned about portability on one hand and about productivity and cramped screen space on the other, why not keep the 15" and add the iPad for portability's sake? That would seem to accomplish what you're looking for better than going smaller twice.

7. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

iPad comes in with reading my journal articles. Sorry I should have been more clear. I can read my articles nicely on the 15", but it would be nice to have an iPad to read on my bed or my couch comfortably.

8. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

I think its a very good idea indeed. The MBP is good enough to help you with the work you are describing, and the iPad is a geek dream come true. I've had one for 2 days now and its unbelievably good. Nothing compares to when you actually hold it in your hands and see the interface.

9. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I have a 15" MBP, 13" MBP, an iPad 64gb 3G, plus I have access to my old MBA if I wanted, my wife uses it on occasion now. I've thought a lot about changing/improving my set up over the last while, here's my experience and suggestions.

The 13" would work if you planned on hooking up to an external monitor often, that's provided you do a lot of your work at a desk and can plug into the display.

If you're doing most of your work away from a desk/large display then stick with the 15", you'll appreciate and be more productive with the larger screen and it's only 1 lb heavier and 1.5" wider than the 13".

Working on a 13" screen is okay, for a few hours a day. But, if you're working / reading from a laptop display many hours everyday then the 15" will be more pleasing to use.

On the other hand, aside from screen size being a little cramped at times the 13" MBP is a GREAT laptop. You will like it more than your x301 - I sure did. The 13" seems like the perfect size and weight, it's the notebook I always "want" to bring on my travels, then I think about what notebook I should be bringing and because of the screen size alone I try to bring the 15" if I can. For example on a commuter plane I'd never bring my 15", seats too small.

I think the ultimate is to work from one laptop / computer only, for that the 15" is the best choice. Many people because of their needs or the geek in them want another smaller laptop for travel, couch, cafe surfing and right now that's a tough call on which way to go.

I'd consider the iPad as something for fun and media consumption, I'm writing this post on my iPad now, it's fun sure but about half as fast as typing on my notebooks.

Without an external display I wouldn't go to a 13" screen full time, I've tried it often only to begrudgingly go back to the 15" ... never happy about the size and weight but very happy when I open it up and start working from the larger screen.

HTH

10. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

keep the 15" and just get an ipad. unless you have are a 3 year old kid carrying a 15" laptop is not difficult.

11. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

This seems pointless. It would make sense if you were say, going from a 13" to a 15 and an ipad, since you want power and portability.

But a 13 and an ipad seems redundant.

Maybe Im missing something though. :confused:

12. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Cost. ;)
    Ipad would be nice to have since I have to read a lot of journals but I cannot afford it unless I move to a 13". The question is which would you rather have: 15" or 13" +iPad.

This is an incredibly helpful post, and exactly the thought process I was looking to uncover. I would prefer not to use an external monitor set up just because I hate tethering the computer, and then untethering to use the computer for the rest of the day. Right now I have my 24" HD LCD hooked up to a PS3 positioned in front of my bed, and the 15" seems just right to work on at the desk. I think I made my choice. I am just going to miss computing on the go on a smaller machine since I am quite a smallish girl (5'1") and it's a killer lugging my 15" around.

13. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

How would buying a new MBP allow you to afford an iPad? I doubt you'd be able to sell your current 15" for enough to cover the cost of a new 13" and a new iPad. Why not keep the 15" you have, sell the Lenovo and buy an iPad?

I, personally, have a 27" iMac for my "hard-core" design work and a 13" MBP for personal use and travel. I don't think having just the 13" would be good enough for what I do, even if I had an iPad.