Going from 17" to 15" screen; suck?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alleyoop, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Alleyoop macrumors member

My 17" powerbook screen cracked. I am going to get a MacBook Pro unibody, but am wondering about screen size... The 15" is more in my price range, but wondering if it is hard going from a 17" to a 15"?

I do some web design and run a small business using 17", so I often have many screens opened at one time. I am often transferring information from one screen to another. Is this going to be frustrating trying to do this on a smaller screen?

2. Irosaki macrumors member

Irosaki

what screen resolution is on the 17" powerbook? a drop from 1920x1200 -> 1440x900 (current 17" -> 15") is VERY noticable.

although I have an HP 17" laptop that is 1440x900 so I wouldnt notice muchgoing from that to a 15" macbook pro.

the 17" macbook pro is exactly 17" i believe and the 15" is 15.4" so theres not a big size difference, just resolution.

3. Alleyoop thread starter macrumors member

I'm 1440x900 right now, so I guess I'd be fine on resolution... Oh what to do?

4. Irosaki macrumors member

Irosaki

on a 15" then you will be able to fit all the windows etc as you are used to them, If you go for the 17" there will be a lot more room, but will you use it?

5. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

If portability and price aren't that important, go for the 17".
    The higher resolution will definitely be useful to you, especially when multitasking or designing.

If portability and price are important, go for the 15".
    Still enough room to work comfortably (also since you're already used to it) and you can do a lot with Spaces to manage app windows.

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Having switched from a 15" MBP to a 17" MBP, I have to say that the myth about portability is highly overstated. I really don't notice any difference.

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

you shouldnt notice too much of a difference, the 15" doeshave a sweet spot for middle of the road resolutions 7 its not bad at all.

If you're still wanting a 17" and a higher resolution, check the refurbs for the unibody 17"s they get some good deals there

8. Irosaki macrumors member

Irosaki

grab a tape-measure and size up the 15" and 17" (the measurements are on the tech specs bit of the store)

due to the 15" being 15.4" and the 17" being 17" diagonal, there is a 1.6" diagonal difference in size which is such a small difference.

sketch out the sizes and see what you think, due to the lack of a latch and a narrow border at the edge of the screen its smaller than most 17" laptops.

9. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

The resolutions between the 17" PB and 15" MBP are the same, but the smaller screen size means you will end up with greater pixel density which should improve the overall appearance of the display. (ie it should be clearer/crisper than the 17")

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I went from a 15" HP to a 13" MBP and I really don't notice a difference.

I think you'll be fine.

11. cmaier macrumors G3

12. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

That'll always be a very personal thing of course. I'm sure both can be carried around easily enough, but in some cases the size and weight difference do matter. E.g., I still prefer the 13" to have on my lap over the 15". For me it just gets a little too big and too heavy, and I don't even want to think about hassling with a 17" on the couch. If you mainly use it on a desk though or you don't notice the difference, those extra pixels start to look a lot better.

13. ctdw macrumors member

I moved from a 15 MBP to a 17MBP recently and will never go back. The resolution is so much better and needed when running a number of apps. I will consider a 15 again if they ever offer a higher res model. I also do not notice a big difference in size or weight when transporting (I just needed to get a larger notebook case!).

14. Paul B macrumors 6502

The difference between a 17" and a 15" is much bigger and more noticeable than the difference between a 15" and a 13".

To answer OP, yes, it sucks.

15. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

I went from 13" to BadBoy and haven't looked back.

16. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I'm so sick of hearing BadBoy Pro. That doesn't even make sense.

This should be your avatar.

Attached Files:

17. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

You can often find good quality external monitors for cheap -- check out newegg.com

A 19 or 22 inch monitor would be one solution! I used mine in closed mode (just having the mouse and keyboard hooked into the display) and it was great. Sometimes, I even used it for dual screen applications. Best $300 I ever spent!

18. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

How do the mods NOT see this as trolling? It's pretty obvious he does this to get under peoples' skin.

Anyhow. Why is the switch from 17" to 15" so much different than 15" to 13"?

19. Paul B macrumors 6502

Here: Read this thread.

20. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Thanks.

Makes me even more happy that I opted for the 13".

21. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Because of the resolution. Have you ever changed screen size or are you just here to call out people? :rolleyes:

22. sos85 macrumors member

I think 15 or less is better, I do do not want to use laptop as a PC. I prefer to buy a big screen tablet PC and buy a less LCD laptop to buy a big LCD laptop.

23. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

screen resolution is just a matter of use. what i mean by that is, as you use a new resolution you become "use to it." it may look different the first couple times you use it but after a short amount of time you adapt so to speak.

24. Amuraivel macrumors member

Somebody who's actually gone from 17" to 15"

Dear OP,

My MBP 17" died, and I downgraded to 15" for two reasons:

1. Lower ðe risk of loss due to ðe cost difference (if ever lost, dropped, stolen, spilled on, or it dies outside of warranty)

2. I commute lots, and wanted a more portable machine, and even shaved a few grams by opting for matte display.

I now have a 30" DELL monitor at home and use ðe MBP in clamshell mode when at home.

I like ðis small portable/home monitor setup so much ðat I would even consider going down to a 13" if it ever got a discrete GPU and a matte display.

At ðat time I also worked in several offices, and worked all day wiþ my own laptop, I þink in ðat case a 17" was worþ having. But if you're a college student or just professional on ðe go, go wiþ ðe 15" and use ðe cash to buy an external monitor, which are now much cheaper ðan in ðe past.

25. JamesM macrumors regular

I'm currently using a 15" but will be going 17" for my new one.

I've had this one 3 years and the res has been fine I just think the bigger screen would be more use to me now.