Going from 1st-gen MBP to Uni-MB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ddeadserious, Apr 5, 2009.

1. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Anything I should expect or be aware of?

Got a base model Unibody Macbook, typical specs: 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD.

I'm figuring this should definitely be a speed increase from my 2.0 GHz Core Duo(not core 2) with my maxed out 2GB of RAM and my(big at the time) 256MB video card. At least for running multiple creative suite programs, and virtual machines, it should be somewhat faster. I'm pumped for multitouch.

I'll be upgrading the RAM to 4GB, and throwing in my 320GB Seagate drive if I decide I want to keep it. I'm just not 100% sure if I'll be alright with the glassy screen and the chiclet keyboard coming from my matte Macbook and this wonderful keyboard.

Thanks!

2. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I love the chiclet keyboard. It isn't bad at all. Wasn't a hard move for me.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Same. Hated it but we used them at work and I got used to it. And my typing speed has increased.

4. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Cool, anybody else?

Anybody know if there is a way to swap in an illuminated keyboard into the base unibody mb? Or is the ambient light sensor not there? Just curious... I payed less than $1000, so just saving up to get the 2.4 wasn't really any option.

5. kolax macrumors G3

Not possible to swap or add in.

Also, another thing to consider with the MacBook is the screen quality. It is pretty washed out (even viewing dead on, it has a gradient and is washed out at the bottom) and lower resolution (though same PPI) as your MacBook Pro.

6. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Okay, thank you. I managed to miss the threads talking about these things having crappy displays. Fortunately, I still have my MBP, and if I dislike the screen on the new MB that much, I'll just resell it. Like I said, the only things I'm concerned about not liking is the keyboard(which I'll surely get used to) and the screen.

7. kolax macrumors G3

I went from the last gen MBP to the Unibody MBP, and prefer the chiclet keyboard by far. I used to use an external display with the Apple wireless keyboard (chiclet one) and prefered that anyway. You'll get used to it right away, and feels more natural than the previous gen. It isn't as if the keys are physically different, they are the same size, only they don't have the longer edging that usually made them touch (if you understand me!).

You aren't a student are you? If you were, you could get higher educational discount and then you'd be able to afford the low-end MacBook Pro for the same amount of cash.

There is people who are happy with the MacBook screen, and it depends how picky you are, and if you notice things.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The funny thing is that your old dedicated video card is as capable than the MacBook's shared card. I doubt you will see much of an increase there. Everything else will feel like a rocket.

9. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Like I said, I'm not longer really a "pro user" and I open Photoshop maybe once a week. That's as graphics intensive as it get for me, so I'm not worried about it.

10. iRez macrumors member

FUD alert... there's a thread somewhere here on the boards where a member did indeed install an illuminated backlit keyboard to his 2.0uMB and it was painless from what I remember reading. Regardless it is possible.

11. raremage macrumors 6502a

I think you will find the screen quality to be fairly good when you compare to the first-gen MBP. Even though it tends to wash out, the quality head on (with the right viewing angle) is pretty good, and it's LED versus the first-gen MBP's LCD tech.

It would not surprise me if you found it to be fairly comparable to your current system. It's a much weaker competitor against the current MBPs with the LED tech, depending on what you are using it for (office tasks versus editing multimedia, for example)

12. Valmor macrumors member

Uh, the base MacBook Pro is $1,899.00 with the educational discount, and that's without tax.

13. kolax macrumors G3

And void the warranty while he's at it. Okay, go and recommend that to the OP.

Read what I said. Higher education discount. That store is only viewable on a signed up university/college's campus. It is 15% on the MacBook Pro.. which is close to the normal MacBook price (same as the high-end MacBook).

14. iRez macrumors member

I don't think I recommended it, I just let the OP know that it indeed is very possible to do, so possible that it's been done before. Whether the OP want's to do that or not is up to him/her.

I also don't understand how you gather that a MBP with edu discount is close to the price of a MB at edu price when the OP is mentioning the base model in his/her post ($1249 vs $1899). Even the upper model macbook is significantly lower in price ($1499) vs the MBP.

If I WERE to recommend the user with some advice I'd recommend either a macbook refurb, white macbook refurb with 9400m, MBA refurb with SSD (don't get the 4200 trust me), or a non-uMBP at the refurb store that has everything the new MB/MBP's have sans a few niceties that I could live without. All of those machines are under the cost of a high end MB and all will be just as fast when it comes to day to day usage.

I went from a Rev A 2.0MBP to a Rev E 2.4MBP (non unibody) for $1349. I have roughly the same computer as the new uMBP's WITH a matte screen for a lot lot less and see the difference between the my two MBP's are night and day...almost.

15. kolax macrumors G3

Higher education discount. Come on, is this so hard to understand? With higher education, the base MBP is the same price as the high-end MacBook (without discount). It is 15% for the MBP.

I'm aware he is looking at the low end MacBook.

16. genmic macrumors regular

Your comments are irrelevant:

Not sure what you mean by higher education discount either. As opposed to elementary discount? What exactly are you referring too?

17. kolax macrumors G3

My comments aren't irrelevant, as if there was a good deal to get the MBP, then the OP might be able to fund it somehow. With 15% discount, I'd much rather find some extra cash somehow and get a decent display along with FW and a dedicated GPU for likes of games or 3D applications. But that is what I'd rather do... I'm just giving the OP my opinion and some thoughts to consider. None of which are irrelevant :)

And you can view the higher education store by going here for the U.S. store. Higher education is in the URL name, and it means education after high school; college or university.

18. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Update: Got my new/used Macbook yesterday.

Absolutely love it. It's a beautifully engineered computer, very impressed with the aesthetics. I don't mind the glassy screen even though I used it with windows behind me all day, the difference in screen size seems negligible to me, I hardly notice a difference. I don't mind the keyboard at all(although I really wish it was illuminated even though I never used it on my MBP.) It's a lot snappier than my Macbook Pro and I don't regret the decision one bit(I'll post my geekbench tests later on today). I applied a color profile from one of the threads here and it really improved the look of the screen. I seriously love the multitouch though, it makes internet surfing so enjoyable(with Firefox 3.1beta, of course).

I transferred all my data and installed all of my software last night. I don't have a solid buyer for my MBP yet, so I may decide to go back to it, I need to use the MB in every day conditions more first, but I'm seriously both feet in the Macbook as of now(if that makes any sense). I will be ordering 4GB of Mushkin RAM from newegg soon, and getting my 320GB 7200RPM HD out of my MBP when I feel like dissecting it.

Thanks for the help, guys/gals.

19. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It's been a world of pain, well not totally. I was pretty much where you are, I had a sec gen and replaced it with a Macbook.

Migration was BS. To migrate using the Ethernet you need the boot your old computer for the DVD. My old one has a dead DVD drive, so I got to set everything up new. Not too much work. I was at least able to clear out off the extras that I was not going to use.

Then the track pad. Personally I can not stand that track pad at all. It just seems like a defect. I did find (though MR) a modified track pad pref. file that allows you to still disable the track pad when a mouse is connected (something Apple decided they rather not have us do)

Now is the screen. It is horrible. Over the past 2 weeks that I have had the computer I have only been able to use it just a few times and for short periods as migraine are almost instantaneous. I did order some anti-glare film, but it cam damaged. The company is having me ship back the defective one before even sending me a new one, and I really don't want to wait another week. Also I can not find them in ANY Apple store.

Now that the track pad problem is fixed and I have everything set up with a USB time machine drive, the only thing bugging me is the screen. I really don't like the look at all, but I do like the unibody construction. I was not a fan of the quality in my MBP. I thought that was total BS of a computer. This one is much better, just have to "adapt" to somethings and find work arounds for others, annoying yes, but doable.