Going from 2.66GC2D MBP to 13inch MBA a step up?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by enochpeng, Jul 26, 2011.

1. enochpeng macrumors regular

I'm thinking to ditch my June 09 MBP with 2.66G Core 2 Duo and 4GB RAM and also a self installed 60GB SSD to a MBA 13inch lower end model?
    How would the new machine feel compare to my two year old one?

My major needs are
    -internet
    -HD movie watching
    -multiple office programs at a time
    -light video editing (iMovie most of the time)
    -Torrent downloads
    -StarCraft II !my major concern!

Any input would be much appreciated

Thanks
    Enoch

2. enochpeng thread starter macrumors regular

3. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I think it would feel a couple pounds lighter. For your uses, and because you are already using an SSD, I would expect perceived performance to be almost identical. I don't know about StarCraft - it's possible that the Intel Graphics might be a small downgrade. I'm sure you can find a thread in the Gaming forum that discusses that..

4. revenent macrumors regular

I feel the only thing that comes close to what you have currently would be the MBA 13". Get an i7 if budget is available. :cool:

5. nigameash macrumors 6502

You would be going a step up, thats for sure. The geekbench scores on your machine are 3580 as opposed to 5860 on the 2011 mba. That difference alone will be significant plus the added benefit of the i5/i7 processor that you choose. The screen size shouldnt make any difference for you either since the mba carries the same screen resolution as your mbp model (1440*900)

6. enochpeng thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the thoughts guys!

now i guess it's down the 8600GT VS HD3000 ?

which one is better 3 yrs old discret graphic card or modern intergraded card

7. mchendricks macrumors member

I think you are mistaken about your current machine specs. The 09 MBP did NOT use the 8600GT. There was no 13" MBP released in mid 09. The standard 15" model had an integrated 9400m and a discreet 9600GT with 256 MB dedicated RAM.

From what I have read, the current intel HD 3000 and 9600GT have similar performance.

Mike

8. AdrianK macrumors 68020

The computer I'm typing this on says there was ;)

The OP never stated whether their MBP was 13, 15 or 17", just that they were looking at 13" MBAs.

Or 512mb VRAM for BTO.

9. mchendricks macrumors member

You are correct, but the OP claimed a C2D running at 2.66 GHz with a nVidia 86oo GT (incorrectly identified as the 9600 was used starting with the late 2008 unibody) released mid 09. Based on this, the only size MBP I could find was a 15" MBP.

Sorry for causing the confusion.

Mike

10. enochpeng thread starter macrumors regular

sorry guys! just to straight things up this is the spec of my laptop in the picture.

so i guess i won't have a pleasant time running SC2 on the new Macbook air?

And is it worth to opt for the i7 since i don't need that much storage ? or is it much faster than the standard i5

thanks again

Attached Files:

• pp.jpg
      pp.jpg
      File size:
      27.8 KB
      Views:
  11. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I really don't think so :(

There's a few threads on this in the Air forum, from what people have said (who purchased both) there doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference.

12. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

For the uses you listed (other than gaming), either the i5 or i7 is so far beyond what you need that the difference is trivial.

Here's a thread that specifically talks about StarCraft on the new i7 MBA..
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1198470&highlight=starcraft+mba

13. enochpeng thread starter macrumors regular

from my experience with the MBP im using now, i find 4GB of RAM to be barely sufficient for me.

especially when running VMware or Parallels....or even with many programs running at the same time.

so is there possibilities to upgrade the Air to 8GB of RAM

14. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

You can't upgrade the RAM of a MacBook Air.

I have the same model 2009 MBP as you. I upgraded my RAM to 8gb for around $45 after rebate from Amazon. The deal is still going on until the end of July. Crucial memory.

15. enochpeng thread starter macrumors regular

how was the upgrade> big step forward? noticeable diff.?
    maybe i should keep my MBP too?

16. revenent macrumors regular

Daily usage i feel 8GB Ram has little difference. Not that noticeable for me. However, when i run VMware Fusion with 4 images at once....that becomes noticeable. It is actually pretty smooth as compared to 4GB Rams. So i guess it depends on what tasks you do.