Going from 2 users to 1

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrjosh, Oct 18, 2009.

1. mrjosh macrumors regular

Hi all,

My wife and I decided that multiple accounts were a pain for various reasons. So, I was going to do a fresh install of SL, and just have one user.

I'm thinking that I cannot do a time-machine backup since it will maintain the current file/permissions structure. Should I just copy my files over to an external hard drive (exporting both of our bookmarks and my mail files) and drag them back? I'll be doing a clean install of SL so I will be re-installing all applications (I don't have many applications).

Anyone see any issues with this? It seems simple, but I'm worried that I am overlooking something.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Why reinstall? I'd just copy the files over to one account and delete the other. Permissions/ownership issues are easy to correct.

3. msevild macrumors regular

I think you could just delete the other user account and when it prompts how you want to remove it I would just let it leave the info where it is, and then copy that data to the one user account. That should change the permissions to the new user since it will want to copy the files instead of just moving them.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. mrjosh thread starter macrumors regular