Going from 2010 13" MBP to 2012 13" Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DUDEMANGUY5, Jun 14, 2012.

1. DUDEMANGUY5, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

DUDEMANGUY5 macrumors regular

I just went out and bought the 13" base model MacBook Air today at my local Apple store and am preparing to sell my 2010 13" base Macbook Pro to a family member and purchase an iMac when they get USB 3.0 support.

So far, I like the MacBook Air more than the MacBook Pro. The air is thinner and the battery life is just about the same as the Pro.

Only one problem about this transition...
    I have over 120 gigs of data.
    to be exact, on my Macbook Pro I have 177.64 gigs used of the 250GB Hard drive.

I have backed up everything onto my 2TB USB 2.0 external hard drive and performed a time machine backup.

The thing that takes up the most HDD space is the photos I have on iPhoto (80+ gigs), is there any real way that i can access the photos via iPhoto from my external Hard drive when it is plugged in? Or would i have to move them to my MacBook Air every time I want to view them?

Any Suggestions?

2. fretdevil macrumors member

Just "MOVE" your library to an external drive. If you are not sure how to do it, just search "Moving iPhoto Library to an External Drive". Plenty of info available.

Cheers!

3. DUDEMANGUY5 thread starter macrumors regular

But doing that all of the time makes it so i have the edited versions of the photos, If I transfer them to the external hard drive and then transfer them back on a different computer it does not save the settings in iPhoto after being edited.

4. fretdevil macrumors member

Dude, read this:
    http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/05/move-the-iphoto-library/