Going from 2011 to 2012 MBA from TM Backup

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by catgo, Jul 6, 2012.

1. catgo macrumors member

Just sold my 2011 13 MBA today. I have to meet with the buyer tomorrow and close the deal after restoring the computer to factory settings.

Im planning on buying a 2012 model and using migration assistant to restore from a time machine backup. The problem is that I will be getting the new MBA in about 2 - 3 weeks.

If by then MBA´s ship with Mountain Lion installed will I have problems restoring from TM which was done on my current MBA running Lion?

Thanks!

2. derlockere macrumors member

This doesn't even work with Lion, as it tells you that the TM image was created with another Mac. (Tried with my 11" MBA '11 TM backup to restore it on my 11" MBA '12).

However you can use the migration assistant to transfer all data (files, applications etc.) from the TM backup to you new MBA.

Cheers, S.

3. catgo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. With migration assistant can I transfer programs as well from my TM backup made in a machine running lion to the new one running M. Lion(adobe photoshop, aperture, office...ect.) Or will I have to install those from scratch?

4. chazmink macrumors member

I just did a TM migration from my 2011 to my 2012 yesterday. The only glitch I encountered is it needs my MS Office product code which I have yet to locate. Be sure to run software update after migrating. I needed four updates, one specifically for the 2012 MBA.

5. MacBird macrumors 6502

I had no problems to transfer all my settings and apps to the new MBA 2012 from a Time Machine Backup that I made on my old 2008 uMBP. The only things I noticed were that I needed to retype my MS Office password and Glimmerblocker does not work anymore.

6. catgo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. I was actually specifically interested in knowing if it can be done from a lion backup to a 2012 MBA running Mountain Lion once these start to ship in a few weeks. I will be ordering my new Mac after July 15 and I'm concerned my TM backup done in my 2011 MBA will not work with ML should these ship with the new OS by that date.

Thanks

7. KPOM macrumors G5

You can run Migration Assistant and it should work fine. I did that migrating my my 2010 to my 2011 (this year I used target disk mode connecting my two Macs with a Thunderbolt cable).

Note that if you are restoring from a Time Capsule, use an Ethernet cable (get the Thunderbolt adapter if possible). It took the Time Capsule about 18 hours to move about 60GB of data last year, if I recall correctly.

8. derlockere macrumors member

Exactly, transferring the data is not a problem. The only thing you can't do: restore form an older Mac's TM backup (restore != transfer data via migration assistant).

--> If catgo's MBA arrives with ML he won't be able to restore from his TM backup to Lion BUT he can transfer the data (incl. the apps) to the 2012 MBA.

IF cargo wants to go with Lion, he might be able to install Lion (you will need an actual Lion build which is eligible on the 2012 MBA) which probable will work for the 2012 MBA's as their first batch was (and still is until ML is released) shipped with Lion.

@catgo: Do you want to stay with Lion or do you only want to ensure that your data is transferred as smooth as possible?

Sorry for replying that late, but I'm currently in Australia and had very bad and no coverage, respectively.