Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Larrabee213

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Currently I have a 15" rMBP @ 2.3ghz, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, 750m

A few days ago I purchased a 2014 13" rMBP w/ 2.6ghz i5 Processor, 8GB RAM, and I am pretty impressed with how well it handles what I need to do, while just at 50-60% the speed when doing any processor intensive tasks.

I did this because I will now be doing a lot more travel, flying almost 2x/month and I want to travel as light as I can.

For work I am editing about 2 hours of video each week, without a lot of effects, just chopping it up and exporting into multiple formats in Premiere (which the 13" handles just fine). Even FCX editing is silky smooth. That is about as intense of work I do. Aside from that I might do 2-3 big video projects a year which are 7-8 hours of video broken up into 90-120 minute projects with light effects work.

I guess my question is, do you think it is worth the lighter weight/smaller size along with the reduced speed of the 13" rMPB vs the 15" which is pretty overkill for me. I love the lighter weight/size of the 13" as well as the better battery life.

At first I was going to keep both, but it seems like the 13" will be fine for what I need it to do and then I can always consider the next revision of the 15"

Larrabee213

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Sorry for the quick bump, but I am hoping to order the 512GB version of the 13" rMBP if you agree I won't be missing out on much from the 15" for what I need to do.

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
Currently I have a 15" rMBP @ 2.3ghz, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, 750m

A few days ago I purchased a 2014 13" rMBP w/ 2.6ghz i5 Processor, 8GB RAM, and I am pretty impressed with how well it handles what I need to do, while just at 50-60% the speed when doing any processor intensive tasks.

I did this because I will now be doing a lot more travel, flying almost 2x/month and I want to travel as light as I can.

For work I am editing about 2 hours of video each week, without a lot of effects, just chopping it up and exporting into multiple formats in Premiere (which the 13" handles just fine). Even FCX editing is silky smooth. That is about as intense of work I do. Aside from that I might do 2-3 big video projects a year which are 7-8 hours of video broken up into 90-120 minute projects with light effects work.

I guess my question is, do you think it is worth the lighter weight/smaller size along with the reduced speed of the 13" rMPB vs the 15" which is pretty overkill for me. I love the lighter weight/size of the 13" as well as the better battery life.

At first I was going to keep both, but it seems like the 13" will be fine for what I need it to do and then I can always consider the next revision of the 15"

13 will be ok

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Yes, the question is does it make sense to sell the 15 and go with the 13".

Well, since it sounds like you're going to keep the 13" regardless (question was both or just 13") I'd switch to using it for all your work primarily. If you don't miss the 15", sell it.

My guess is you'll be OK, but only you and your workflow will know for sure.

Larrabee213

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Well, since it sounds like you're going to keep the 13" regardless (question was both or just 13") I'd switch to using it for all your work primarily. If you don't miss the 15", sell it.

My guess is you'll be OK, but only you and your workflow will know for sure.

That is what I am thinking. Might be best to sell the 15" now, can always go with the revision in the fall.

Any other input from others with a 13" rMBP? Looking at going with the 13" rMBP with 2.8gbs i5 and 512GB SSD.

Larrabee213

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Dont do it. Its terrible for HD video. Read my thread in here about photo/video work with the new rMBP 13 and stick with your 15

I have been editing uncompressed 1080p video in premiere and FCX the last few days and it has been fine. Just takes about twice as long to export/compress video (which is understandable with the dual core CPU).

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
I have been editing uncompressed 1080p video in premiere and FCX the last few days and it has been fine. Just takes about twice as long to export/compress video (which is understandable with the dual core CPU).

Yea, it took me 7:12 to export a 4 minute 1080 clip at the default medium setting in iMovie. Thats already double the time of the clip and at high quality would have taken 3 times the length. I would expect that from an Air, I consider that unacceptable in a Macbook PRO I haven't even bothered installing CS6 and working with RAW files or trying to work with 4k video. I'd be waiting hours, if it could even handle it.

Larrabee213

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Yea, it took me 7:12 to export a 4 minute 1080 clip at the default medium setting in iMovie. Thats already double the time of the clip and at high quality would have taken 3 times the length. I would expect that from an Air, I consider that unacceptable in a Macbook PRO I haven't even bothered installing CS6 and working with RAW files or trying to work with 4k video. I'd be waiting hours, if it could even handle it.

I hear you, maybe you are right. But I only edit about 3-4 hours of video a week and it is mostly to cut it up into 30 minute chunks and add bumpers. Maybe the 13" would be plenty for that?

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
I just don't think the 15" is going to take a huge drop until the next one is out. Why not try the 13" for a month then sell the 15" or not? Gets away from hypotheticals.

If you were thinking of returning the 13" and only had 14 days, that'd be different.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Yes, the question is does it make sense to sell the 15 and go with the 13".

Well I mean just use the 13" and if it's working well for you and you like the portability you're good. I mean, just do what you normally do on the 15" but on the 13" instead and see if it's acceptable.

But that 15" you have, 2.3/16/512/750m is one heck of a computer. I understand you wanting to get rid of it for the portable 13" since you're saying it is enough for your needs, but I must say the 15" you have is a really nice laptop.

Larrabee213

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Well I mean just use the 13" and if it's working well for you and you like the portability you're good. I mean, just do what you normally do on the 15" but on the 13" instead and see if it's acceptable.

But that 15" you have, 2.3/16/512/750m is one heck of a computer. I understand you wanting to get rid of it for the portable 13" since you're saying it is enough for your needs, but I must say the 15" you have is a really nice laptop.

Well put, you all have given me some great feedback.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
I hear you, maybe you are right. But I only edit about 3-4 hours of video a week and it is mostly to cut it up into 30 minute chunks and add bumpers. Maybe the 13" would be plenty for that?

I just picked up a very lightly used mid 2014 rMBP 15 base model (2.2GHz i7 16GB) and ran the same tests I did with the new rMBP 13 last night and it did everything twice as fast, and your 15 is better than mine so you will REALLY notice the difference. You will miss that 2GB of dedicated graphics dearly when it comes to any kind of production work. Like I said, you should keep the 15

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.