Going from 24" 2.16 iMac to MBP, downgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yoak, Oct 27, 2008.

1. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Hi
    I need a laptop and my iBook won´t do anymore.
    It will be used on location to back-up HD footage using the ExpressCard slot, and some editing. (Main editing will be done on a MacPro.)

I have an 2.16 iMac that I have used happily for 2 years, editing HDV, photos etc.

Will I notice any performance increase (or decrease) if I trade in my iMac for a MBP.
    (I´m considering the Classic MBP, because of 2 Firewire ports and I think it looks better and it is cheaper.

I need to sell my iMac to pay for the MBP.
    Will I miss it?
    I figured I could always get a bigger screen later, but how does a MBP perform compared to an older iMac?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

iMacs use laptop components short of the hard drives. You're more then likely going to see a performance gain in every other department otherwise.

3. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

But overall?
    For handling HD will the MBP suffer from the 5400 hard drive?

4. weedy macrumors newbie

Toss in cheap (but no worse) 3rd party HDD/RAM upgrade and you'll be fine. ;)
    Be careful with RAM though if you do buy the latest model - it's DDR3 and such SODIMMs are not much cheaper than from Apple.

Good thing is you can test it and do the upgrades later. The HDD one with the new model is actually a piece of cake. :)