going from 24 to new 27in iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rwm514, Nov 28, 2011.

1. rwm514 macrumors member

I have a 24in iMac that I love but just decided to upgrade to the slower model 27in iMac, ordered friday:)
    What differences do you think I will notice if any? I use my current iMac for web browsing, encoding movies, iPhone and apple tv server etc. My current iMac is a early 2008 3.06 with 4gb ram, nvidia geForce 8800 GS 512MB.
    Just wondering if the bigger display is going to be the only thing I notice :) thx

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Let us know your impressions when you get it....I'm still on a 24" iMac and am thinking about upgrading next year to a 27"

3. Macman45, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You Will Notice

A little difference when encoding and rendering files, I bought my 27" back in July (i7 top end 8GB RAM) But upgraded the Vram to 2GB.

Machine was fine, but decided to add a little more "oomph" and added another 8GB of Ram.

It's the Ram and the VRAM that make more of a difference over the CPU IMO.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

How did you add more VRAM to your iMac?

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's An Option

On the site when you order....I actually did mine with a friend at Apple over the phone, you can have 512, 1GB or 2GB.

----------

See the configuration page in the link....The have dropped the 512....it's one or two GB now :)
    http://store.apple.com/uk/configure/MC814B/A?select=select&product=MC814B/A

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Oh, okay. The way I read your post, I understood it that you had added the VRAM yourself after you bought it.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Oh No!

I did the RAM myself, and have built many computers over the years, but I'm not up for cracking this (much loved) iMac apart!

It was a custom build...Left to the nimbler fingered:)

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Web browsing will be the same. I don't think you will notice a huge difference with the other things you mentioned. You will get a Wow factor the first few days.

At work I have a 24 inch (4 GB) iMac and at home I have a newer 27 inch (16 GB) iMac. Even with all new features of Mission Control and Full Screen support I feel more comfortable with the 27 inch iMac but I can still be productive with the 24 inch. Running multiple virtual sessions at home is much better at home with the increase in memory and larger screen. I am glad the Mac OS caters better with smaller displays.

9. Wavell macrumors regular

Wavell

I did just that a few weeks ago - moving from 24" core 2 duo 2.8Ghz or so to 27" 2.7Ghz quad core i5. I've noticed that encoding is at least x2 faster (thanks to the extra cores and more efficient i5). I put an extra 8Gb into the machine which helps with Virtualised Windows under Parallels - it just flies in comparison. You don't realise how slowly things seem to work until you upgrade. Games are great too - although I suspect that's as much to do with the better graphics card as much as the extra CPU. Batman Arkham Asylum pretty much runs on max settings with no problems - loving it :)

10. leman macrumors 604

More VRAM won't increase your performance in any noticeable way. 1Gb is absolutely enough for the iMac's GPU. The only software which could benefit from large amount of VRAM are computer games and the iMac's GPU will become the bottleneck long before the memory.

On the other side, having a twice as fast CPU will immediately show itself in almost every application and having more RAM will improve your multitasking experience.