Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
I have a 2009 Mac Pro flashed to 2010 with 12 cores with only 32GB ram. I also have a GTX670 FTW GPU installed. I use this machine for Adobe Premiere Pro for video editing. Will going from 32GB ram to 64GB ram be any better or wasting my money?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
If you are near to or exceeding 32GB of memory use, then upgrading will be extremely helpful. If you are not, then it will not help at all.

It is trivially easy to check memory utilization. Just run Activity Monitor while doing work and check "Memory Pressure".
How does Activity Monitor determine memory pressure? Does it look only at free space and page faults, or does it include filesystem cache misses and hits?

Large filesystem caches can be a huge benefit - but if your applications are filling most of RAM there's very little caching possible. In that situation, extra memory can help a lot - even though you haven't "run out of memory" in the classic sense.

(And caches are orders of magnitude faster than SSDs....)

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
How does Activity Monitor determine memory pressure? Does it look only at free space and page faults, or does it include filesystem cache misses and hits?

Large filesystem caches can be a huge benefit - but if your applications are filling most of RAM there's very little caching possible. In that situation, extra memory can help a lot - even though you haven't "run out of memory" in the classic sense.

That is a very good point to bring up. Yes, in Yosemite and later they include cached files in Memory Pressure.

I remember many people complaining back then that when they upgraded, their memory utilization shot way up. They assumed it was bloat, but really it was OS X making better use of otherwise underutilized memory in order to benefit from the advantages you mention.

yosemite-activity_monitor-memory.png

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
That is a very good point to bring up. Yes, in Yosemite and later they include cached files in Memory Pressure.

I remember many people complaining back then that when they upgraded, their memory utilization shot way up. They assumed it was bloat, but really it was OS X making better use of otherwise underutilized memory in order to benefit from the advantages you mention.
<Image>
Here's a picture from a 20-core server that's doing some data mining on about 200 GB of data.

A naïve viewpoint would be that 16 GiB would be plenty, because the application is using less that 14 GiB. In fact, that 200+ GiB of cache is critical for performance.

ram - Copy.jpg

[doublepost=1469558686][/doublepost]
Thanks!

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
A naïve viewpoint would be that 16 GiB would be plenty, because the application is using less that 14 GiB. In fact, that 200+ GiB of cache is critical for performance.

I agree. I understand the benefit. I've been using RAM to cache files for increased performance as far back as the Commodore 64. :)

I'm not suggesting that the "standby" in that picture from Windows(?) shouldn't be counted, nor that "cached" in OS X shouldn't be counted. All the utilization information including the cache is right there in the window. I do not mean to imply that only the graph alone should be taken into account and not the data right next to it.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
Boot time will be slow! My machine takes ages to complete the Ram check during efi load. It reminds me of watching old servers boot! At least those show you the bits as it progressed through the sectors.

Not really anything to worry about if you put your Mac to sleep mostly instead of full shutdowns.

Reactions: grahamperrin

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Boot time will be slow! My machine takes ages to complete the Ram check during efi load. It reminds me of watching old servers boot! At least those show you the bits as it progressed through the sectors.

Not really anything to worry about if you put your Mac to sleep mostly instead of full shutdowns.
Can't you disable the full memory check?

The default on many other x64 BIOS programs is to skip the check unless the amount of RAM has changed since the last boot. (Clever default - if you add memory it checks it the first boot only.)

cageytiger

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2016
Can't you disable the full memory check?

The default on many other x64 BIOS programs is to skip the check unless the amount of RAM has changed since the last boot. (Clever default - if you add memory it checks it the first boot only.)

Is this possible on a Mac Pro?!

Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.