Going from 4.0GM to 4.0 unable to recover

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by stoplis, Jun 21, 2010.

1. stoplis macrumors regular

I have tried to recover my phone from the 4.0GM to the final version of 4.0 inorder to sell my iPhone 3G to fund my iPhone 4. When it started restoring it gets to 2/3 of the way through when it just hangs, no matter how long I leave it. I have tried restarting it many times and always gets stuck at the same point.
    Any ideas?

iPhone 3G
    Mac (iTunes 9.2)

2. jlmitnick macrumors regular

Do you by any chance have the program wi-fi sync running? I was having some problem where the restore would get 2/3rds done and then hang.

As it turned out it had something to do with the wi-fi sync program running on my Mac. After I uninstalled that (there is a link on the author's website to uninstall it), and the resetting my smc (hold the power button in for 5 seconds with the mac power cable unplugged), then rebooted, I was able to successfully restore.

3. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

The 4.0gm IS 4.0 as they have the same build number.

4. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Did you try recovery mode or dfu mode restore, also sometimes a different usb port? If that still does not work try to downgrade to 3.1.3 with previous iTunes version then go back to 4.0 with 9.2

5. xcrunner macrumors regular

Dude, I owe you. Thanks so much! I was going nuts thinking I finally broke what seemed like the unbreakable DFU mode lol.

6. jlmitnick macrumors regular

No problem!

I do hope that guy updates wi-fi sync to work with iTunes 9.2 and iOS4 cause I really do like his program :)

7. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Actually, no, several threads about this exist. Today's release was found to have a different SHA1 checksum, and there are at least a couple differences (no Gamecenter, some animation of something or other is different/gone, etc.).

8. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Welcome to being incorrect. Bet your use to that.

9. scottuf macrumors 6502

been out of town and haven't seen the build numbers. can someone post for reference. BTW - it wasn't 4.0 GM, it was 4.0 GM Candidate, with candidate being the key word.

10. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Build numbers are the same (8A293) but the two firmwares are not the same as bripab007 post stated.

11. stoplis thread starter macrumors regular

Oh my god! I love you! It worked right away. I owe you a pint!