Going from 8+ to Xs Max - DENIED!

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by PinkyMacGodess, Jul 9, 2019.

1. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

So I have an 8+ with iOS 12.3.2. I plugged in the Xs Max, and it updated to 12.3.1, and I did the 'Quick Setup', and get to the point where the restore from backup pops up, only I CAN'T RESTORE because the iOS versions 'aren't the latest', because apparently Apple will not allow restores just because of that 0.0.1 special update for the 8+.

I can't believe this!!!

I may have to go to iOS 13 to get a backup, and then a restore, otherwise Apple is telling me I will have to reinstall my apps app by app, and then try to get the app data transferred. I *thought* the App Store did that kinda automagically?

Arg...

2. liftedpsd2010 macrumors regular

3. ajbkid macrumors newbie

I work at a Sprint store and I have run into this a few times. I can’t believe Apple has not addressed this yet. Big oversight in my eyes.
    I’d recommend using 12.4 beta, as it’s probably gonna be more stable than 13.

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68040

Mr_Brightside_@

You can restore your backup without going to a beta:

Using iTunes, you should be able to download 12.3.1 for the 8+ here:

https://ipsw.me/#version

Then, connect the 8+ to the computer running iTunes. Make a backup just in case.

Next, hold option on your keyboard, then click Update. You should get a dialog box which will allow you to specify the IPSW version. Select the 12.3.1 that you downloaded, and allow the 8+ to 'update'.

If that goes through successfully, you should be able to make another backup, this time of 12.3.1 (that can be restored to the Xs).

5. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

Thanks. Yeah, I was on the phone with Apple Support, and was just incredulous. It's a 'nothing update', and it's ONLY for the 8+, and Apple stupidly thinks it's a big hairy deal, and blocks people trying to do what I was doing? Stupid of stupid. So I have a phone I can't use because their stupid contract programmers can't progrem their way out of a cardboard box? Nice.

I read the knock list on the last beta release, and yikes. And who knows what will be broken when the next update delivers. So frustrated over this. So close... DENIED!

Thanks for the response.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 9, 2019 ---
    Too many 'should's and 'if's. It's just a junior programmer screwup and GRRRR.

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68040

Mr_Brightside_@

For clarity, I have posted this fix elsewhere and it has worked for others. I guarantee it will work for you.

7. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68040

Mr_Brightside_@

8. liftedpsd2010 macrumors regular

So why isn’t 12.4 an option? It’s about as stable as you will get.

9. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

I logged in to my Apple Developer account, and the only beta available to me is one of Xcode. I checked the beta.apple site, and all that is available is iOS 13. I must be missing something.

10. VineRider, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019

VineRider macrumors regular

Click on enroll your device, and then you can install the 12.4 profile. its under step 2, below the iOS 13 stuff

11. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

Thanks, but will I be able to do that to an iPhone that isn't setup yet? If I can't get .4 on the Max, I'm still out...

12. VineRider, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019

VineRider macrumors regular

setup new phone as new (I would setup without signing in to your icloud account). load beta profile. update to 12.4 by checking for updates. then, erase all content and settings on the new phone you just updated, then re run setup and restore from your icloud backup of youre old phone.

13. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

Backup to itunes. go into the back up on youur computer and change 12.3.2 to .1 its easy takes 2 seconds done it myself

14. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68040

Mr_Brightside_@

THIS!

15. VineRider macrumors regular

where do you make the change? I cannot see a way to do this.

16. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

you using windows or mac?
    in windows i typed "backup" into search bar. found my itunes backup. inside it i located the "info" folder. then search the text for "version" . you will find 12.3.2, change it and save

17. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68040

Mr_Brightside_@

Here's the path on a Mac. Note Library may be hidden. My home folder and iPad serial are blanked out.

Attached Files:

18. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

Cant believe we have to do this. You would think a trillion dollar company would have foreseen this problem! Oh well its good there is a workaround.

19. VineRider macrumors regular

20. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

look at mr brightsides post

21. VineRider macrumors regular

Yes, saw this after my post....edited my response.

22. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

And this actually works? Interesting. I have a case open with Apple, and will mention this to them when they call. It can't be that simple.

When I mentioned the beta option, the facilitator was like 'Yeah, no. We'd rather have you go a different direction.' They DID mention that 'many people are experiencing this'. I don't doubt that at all. A programming oversight. It happens...

23. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68040

Mr_Brightside_@

I would love to know what the official solution is, given that there are two options here.

24. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

No 'mobilesync' folder.

25. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68040

Mr_Brightside_@