Going from a 17" MBP to a 13" MBA. Advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NiroshanMan, Dec 31, 2011.

?

What should I do with my mid-2009 17" MacBook Pro?

  1. Keep it, not worth selling it at a loss now. Wait a while.

    6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Sell it now before the next MBA refresh comes out.

    5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Sell it after the next MBA refresh comes out.

    1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    #1
    So currently I'm living with my lovely 2.5 year old 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB MBP with 512mb 9600m GT VRAM with a 500GB 5400RPM HDD. I love it, but I'm looking to replace it with a lighter and faster machine. I've owned this baby since Mid-2009 and cared for it ever since, i'm also lucky enough to work at an authorized Apple repair shop and get parts on it replaced easily (even cosmetic :p).

    A) How much should I sell my MacBook Pro?
    Anyways I'm trying to figure out a good pricepoint to sell this at. It's hard to say what the price has dipped down to for this model. I put it on CL and someone offered me a new 11" base model MBA (2GB/64GB SSD/i5) + $450 in cash. I'm really looking to upgrade to a 13" model, but I could take this as a deal (if it is one) and resell the 11" and purchase a used/refurb 13" current model. The MacBook Pro is in great condition, I have the original box and CDs and unopened charger and such and has AppleCare until mid-2012. What is a good price point for this machine?

    B) Should I sell now or wait until the rumored 15" MBA or new models arrive?
    I'm worried that my MBP will depreciate in value even more in the time I wait from now until the next refresh (which seems fairly imminent). I feel like I could get a fairly good swap for my MBP for a current gen MBA and then resell it again in time for the new refresh and not lose a terrible amount of money. Instead of waiting until the refresh and selling my current MBP which could lose even more value.

    C) Will a MacBook Air fulfill my needs that my MBP served?
    I'm a graphic designer and I do quite a bit of photoshop/illustrator work, but I'm also an avid cinematographer, but I'm not too too serious. I don't do it often enough to really need super fast renders, but then again i'm used to my MBP speeds and that may be a bit bias. Will a 4GB/256GB SSD/i5 or i7 processor be enough to outweigh or even match my dated MBP? I did do a bit of gaming a while ago, but now I don't do it as much, but I'd still like to be able to run graphics at good speeds. All I really want is a lighter version of my current MBP and I'm willing to downgrade in screen size, since the 13" MBA has a hi-res screen and I use an external monitor.


    Phew, that was quite a lot to write out. Sorry if this is a lot to read, but please help me!
     
  2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

    Macman45

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    #2
    I Voted Keep It

    I have a brand new MBA and a 17" MBP also replaced this year.....I use them both. For the money you would get I'd hang on to it.
     
  3. lippyt macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2010
    #3
    The HD 3000 is **** slow compared to the 9600m. Even if benchmarks state a small disparity you will not get the smooth performance of a dedicated GPU for the MBA.

    For your work it's perfectly fine, I find using PS on the current MBA viable, I am a heavy user (I draw cartoons and this requires many layers) and I would even say there is a perceivable performance boost as compared to a 2.66GHZ C2D (MBP 2009).
     
  4. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    #4
    So you think I should wait to sell it until after this refresh comes out?
     
  5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

    NutsNGum

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #5
    If your current computer still meets your needs, I'd hold on to it -- at least until the refresh.
     
  6. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    #6
    Do you think it will depreciate in value a lot if I wait until after the refresh?
     
  7. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

    NutsNGum

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #7
    To be honest, with it being a core 2 duo, it's not going to be worth a huge amount now, anyway.

    The amount it will depreciate over a likely 6 month period is probably minimal.
     
  8. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    #8
    You will hate the 13" screen - trust me, I did this. Went right back after 5 weeks (would have came back in 3 if I wasn't stuck overseas). I'm selling my 13" air now
     
  9. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2011
    #9


    I like my 13 inch screen. It was a bit of adjustment since I have an iMac 27, but for what I use it for, it is fine. I like the portability of the small unit.
     

Share This Page