Going from a 2007 MacBook to 2014 Retina MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patryk R32, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Patryk R32 macrumors newbie

So I finally upgraded my MacBook to a brand new 13" 2014 with Retina and 128G flash drive.

My old MacBook has a 320G hard drive, which now I cannot migrate to the new MacBook due to not enough storage.

I have an external hard drive that I use as a backup that is 500 gig.

Even with all the pictures, videos, and movies turned off on Migrate Assistant it still doesn't have enough space to transfer all my basics. It only has about 100 gig free space right out of the box.

What are my options here? I want all my Adobe PS6 applications on my new MacBook. I want it pretty much the same thing as my old MacBook, and I don't mind putting stuff on the external that doesn't need to be on the flash drive.

2. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

either return and buy a higher capacity, or manage your old applications and only migrate the more important stuff.

3. Patryk R32 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking of returning, but I don't know if its worth the extra $200 for another 128G

4. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

your problem is that you're unable to move all of your old data to your new computer because you don't have enough space, and you don't know if it's worth your $200 to upgrade to a system size that solve your problem?

heh.

5. Patryk R32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well since I already have a hard drive with plenty of space, I would like to figure out if there is a solution without spending extra money. If not, then I will have to return it....

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Not enough space is not enough space.

Nifty mini drive or transcend jet drive in your sd slot will work but cost you 100 dollars or so, keeping apps on a usb 3 flash drive are both possible ways round it but the extra $200 is probably worth it.

You could return and get a 2013 refurb with a 512gb ssd fairly cheap and x4 your space for a small increase in cost.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...nch-macbook-pro-26ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

7. Patryk R32 thread starter macrumors newbie

That works out perfect. Thats exactly what I am going to do. I already talked to Apple support, returning the one I got last night, and Ill be ordering that refurbished one after. Thanks

8. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Yes, get as much flash storage as you can afford as these machines are not easily upgradable!