Going from a Jailbroken 5.0.1 to 5.1 on a 4S...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TheSacredSoul, Mar 7, 2012.

1. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

I know I'd lose my jailbreak but would I lose my data such as texts, whatsapp messages, photos etc? Can I update as per normal or do I have to restore?

I am getting pretty bad battery life since I jailbroken and just want to see if updated to 5.1 fixes that. And I don't really care if I can't go back to 5.0.1. Thanks for the help.

2. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

Jailbreaking should not have affected battery life, but the 4S battery problem in 5.0 and 5.0.1 might :)

To upgrade, remove or turn off tweaks to get everything as close as possible to normal, then do a backup followed by a restore with iTunes. All your personal stuff will still be there, but your jailbreak will be gone PERMANENTLY. See also my comment in this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14456386&postcount=24

3. TheSacredSoul thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Went by the restore method. Restoring my data from backup now. Went pretty smooth really. Hope there really is a tangible difference in battery performance though.

4. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

I am sure many would want to know, so please report back. Honestly, all iPhones have pretty bad battery performance, compared to dumbphones. I guess anything with such a big screen suffers from poor battery life.

5. TheSacredSoul thread starter macrumors 6502a

It went pretty ok. Only problem was all my apps were stuck at 'Waiting' status on my iPhone and iTunes got stuck at 'Waiting for iPhone'. But I am pretty sure this is just leftover residue from 5.0.1 cos I might have used less than legal methods to obtain App Store apps. :eek: Had to manually delete all the apps that were in 'Waiting' status and install them from the App Store again. Restarted both my PC and my iPhone and iTunes synced like its supposed to.

Concerning the battery life, its still too damn early to say anything but I played a HD video using the Videos app with full brightness. It was still at 100% after it ended 5 mins later. It would have gone to 98% at least in 5.0.1. Still, I am doing a full battery cycle just to be sure.